Hot Rod Forum banner

Help finding Caddy Springs.

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
I picked up a 71 Eldorado Convertible today, clean car, drives decent, but rear suspension is mush... very very soft. I want to replace the rear coils but I cant find a listing anywhere.... I'm usually pretty good at Googling stuff but have come up blank.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

#3 ·
Thanks Sam, I checked out the sight, they don't list anything for my applicaion. This is lots more complicated then I had thought it was going to be lol.
I'm used to chev, ford or dodge stuff and mostly being able to pick up the phone and order anything over night....
Thanks for looking
Dave

#4 ·
. Springs may be weak because they were supposed to be supplemented by air shocks/air ride compressor like on my '79 Seville... Cadillac wanted $180 each for the air shocks, so I adapted universal ones for $50/pair... onboard automatic air compressor keeps vehicle level with changing loads...

#7 ·
Instead of spending big money on a cheapish car and springs that I'm going to cut anyways, I think Buzz is on the right track, I will pull them and go do a yard crawl and see if a wagon or maybe a truck spring will fit It.
thanks guys.
Dave

#8 ·
Maybe look up a spec for the spring rate, look at the spring you have for the style the ends are wound (straight, pigtail) then start looking at dirt circle track catalogs where springs are sold by diameter, end style, rate, and length.

Works great for coming up with stiffer handling springs for most regular cars, Caddy weighs so much a stiff dirt spring rate may just be a stock rate for the Cad.

Quite cheap too.

#11 ·
Hey Vin, picked up this 71 Eldorado yest. Yah I saw on one of the caddy forums guys using springs from a rear drive Deville or Seville (can't remember which) and that they will sit on the perches fine, I'm going to be cutting them anyways so I didn't want to spend big money but I can likely get a set of stock replacement ones for under $150. Once I get off my butt and pull them out I can actually see what will or won't fit....umfortunalty its 35* and all sun today so its all beer and pool Sunday lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.