help finding a paint color - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help finding a paint color

I need some help getting some paint mixed. I'm building a custom 54 chevy, and have my heart set on painting it 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Elysian green. I've come up with a paint code 096 ditzler 42109. My jobber says 096 is Hampton green from 59 up, and interestingly Hampton is code 096. I tried to find pictures of Hampton green online, I didn't find much, but it sure doesn't seem to be the same as Elysian green (yeah, I know about online color accuracy). He thinks it's just a name change. He then went into a long story about how some guys get hung up on a name, even though some colors go by different names, he even offered to write Elysian green on the can if it made me feel better (that just pissed me off). This is the second paint store I've tried, and neither seems to be able to find the color.
Can anyone help me get some accurate info so I can get this sorted out. As I said, I have my heart set on Elysian green (the color, not the name). Here's a link to the color-
http://www.familycar.com/Classics/57Eldorado/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

When a real fussy customer wants a particular color we then mix like a 1/2 pint of what we think will work and have the customer do a spray out to see if he likes that one..if not them we mix another 1/2 pint of another shade and see if that one works..and just keep repeating the process until the customer gets happy..Of course as the customer you pay for the samples..See one thing I do know about color is that each individual sees color differently..and what is suitable for some may not be your choice..

Sam
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

I guess what I'm really surprised by, is how difficult it seems to be to get an old color mixed. I mean, they could do it once, and with todays technology/computers, you'd think there'd be a vast database, but I keep hearing them blame the computer for not going back that far. My buddy just went through the same thing. He picked out an older car color and all the paint store could do was offer some chips to chose from that were close to the picture he showed them. He settled, and it's a nice color, but he's not totally happy. At $200+ per gallon, it would be nice to get just what you want.
Anybody know how to get 1957 Cadillac Elysian green mixed?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

They did mix the old color once, when the car was made. Obviously, no computers back then. In all probability, it was made by some guy or a chemist who was not colorblind, and became good at mixing colors, and he just kept careful notes, and the next batch of that color of paint they made, they just followed the notes.

I know GM has changed color names over the years. Dupont 817, a very bright white, was just called 1995 Chevy truck white. The last time I bought the 817 white, it was for an earlier Corvette, and called Frost White. Same color, different names.

If the 1957 Cadillac Elysian green is a metallic, how it is sprayed on the car is going to affect the final color almost as much as how the paint is mixed. You also need to realize there were probably color variations in the original cars when they were made. When GM ran out of the 55 gallon drum of 1957 Cadillac Elysian green, who can be absolutely sure that the next drum was the exact same color?

So how are you going to get the exact color you want? You are going to just have to buy some custom mixed paint, make some test panels, and spray. If you do not like the color, try to be as specific as possible, and ask the paint store to slightly alter the tinting or shading of the color.

And unless you see another 1957 Cadillac Elysian green car, at the same show you are at, who is going to know the color is not the exact OEM color the car left the factory with, 50 plus years ago?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

"Anybody know how to get 1957 Cadillac Elysian green mixed?"

hop into the 'Way-back' machine and go for a ride, literally.

Even if you had the 1957 color formula to mix from, you CANNOT mix it today, the paint systems have completely changed. The tints, toners and metallics are totally different today.

The only option is to bring in a sample and have it scanned and spray test panels until it will match. It will likely still be off for tint, shade, color cast, flop, metallic pattern or DEPTH OF COLOR. They no longer mix metallic colors with 90% clear mix in them.

Good luck with the hunt, only you can decide what is 'close enough'.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.