help finding the right engine for a new BBC build - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my 489 will be 775hp and over 700 ft lb
and the cam is mild for a solid roller..
a turbo.. is really not needed..
if you have 30+ grnd to spend on an engine ,by all means go for it..
if you think your bolting a scat crank and rods in a bbc and turbo'n it.. and it living.. for 5-9k build cost.. good luck..
my 489
core 800.oo(running)
forged crank /h beam rods/ati balancer/sfi flexplate/pistons(srp) rings and bearings (in 2002) was 2900.oo on sale
roller cam and all the gear for it(cam/lifter/springs/locks/v.seals/retainers 1500.oo
2 piece timing cover 170.00
hex a just roller timing set 80 ish
full roller rockers 450.00
dartpro 1 345 heads 1995.00 (in 2002 about 2800 now)
dart single plane intake 460.00
arp studs main &head 370.oo
arp bolt set for bbc 200 ish
msd distrubutor 290.oo
oil pan/oil pump and pick up, dipstick 550+
serp belt set up 880.oo
carb 600+ (and you want turbo so efi 2500-4000+ )
still need to machine block, it's only been mag'd
pushrods, valve covers, a/c compressor/alt/ps pump/water pump/
miss little stuff like gaskets/etc
this little(by todays standards big block ) will be over 10k easy
and I bought the parts in 2002 the prices are not less now..
your turbo(s) will be 3000.oo cause your not gonna put a 500.oo china turbo in front of a 10-30k bullet (at least I would not)
never mind the 10k-15+ in the car backhalf and equipment needed to keep the nova in one piece
good luck
whenyou hit the lotto, send some my way, thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Last journal entry: no spark and fuel pump issue

Yeah it's Gonna be expensive I know ...
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Old & Furious

If you are going to run turbos you will need 105mm turbos. I know someone that had a twin turbo setup on a 632 cube big block when he went to the dyno he maxed the dyno jet dyno at 2600 hp 1000rpm below the hp peak of his engine. Big blocks and turbos even small ones equal big power dont do both.

Na big block crate motor from wop with 632 cubes is 800 hp. They can provide a guaranted combo for your 800 hp engine. Relaible and safe which is always cheaper.

If you want 800 hp then go with a regular deck 406 small block from wop or dart. And add the twin turbos. Should put you into the 800+ hp range pretty easily.

Either way you will need some quailty turbos and good carb setup for bonet or box.

Stock block and turbos will put to much pressure on cast oem blocks best to go with the proper setup. Big block or small block.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM

And when I hit lotto ur the first one to get some
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure it's if a better idea to build a mild motor and let the turbo make the power or to big a powerful engine and put low boost on it
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM

598 cubes,low deck,pump gas friendly,900 HP.

would cost north of 16k. thats N.A.!but to be realistic,the 540 rat is the best all round build.most common and easy to match parts
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

this guys nova.. would be a 100k car to build a safe car the way he wants it..
he needs to talk to a chassis shop.. not us..
then talk to sonny lenard type engine bulider..
not us..
he needs to start saving..
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM

I just wished upon a shooting star for the money to build this engine... I'm just looking for ideas on things guys here have done...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
I just wished upon a shooting star for the money to build this engine... I'm just looking for ideas on things guys here have done...
go to a heads up outlaw class race and you'll get a better "feel" for whats required..
cause a bbc nova like you're talking is a 8 sec car..
thats a track only car.. unless you believe those drag week cars run all summer on the streets..
NHRA will require you to get a lic. to drive it. on their tracks
you're talking large coin..
when I was looking at back half'n my chevelle it was over 15k to cage and half it.. so it pass a nhra inspection..
today minitubbed /caged/framed cars are jus as fast.. but not any cheaper to build..
good luck..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

help finding the right engine for a new BBC build

If I was going to build a motor with the power that you are talking about I would start out with a brand new short block. I know this short block is built with Scat or Eagle crank and rods. When I built my 496 I called and talked to CNC Motorsports about my kit. I was told that they will put together a kit with parts of my choice as long as they carry the parts. I didn't want the SRP pistons and wanted Keith Black Icon Forged pistons. So if you want a better quality crank and rods look at the brands they have and call them for a price on the kit with parts you want. Check out this short block. CNC Competition Short Block, BB Chevy 540, 4.250' Crank, 6.385' Rods, 9.0:1 SRP Pistons - Big Block Chevy 540-565 Short Blocks - Short Blocks | CNC Motorsports | Car Parts | Truck Parts | Competition Engines
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Wow that's not a bad deal for a short block with all forged internals
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
not good enough for what you're dreaming about..
add another 5-7k
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM

how could you go wrong even with a very low out put 540? buy the 540 short block,cheap used square port heads,roller hydraulic cam,850 holley and shares in a tire company. 11 second Nova thats a daily driver
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Careful its a low number but what you get is not the same as all dart blocks. They are buying the cheapest dart block with no machine work and building themup which is fine but best to make sure its good for 800 hp long term. You should also be able to buy the parts to build that engine cheaper. If so good CNC makes good stuff but i got a feeling this is a 700hp and below combo. Yes you can get more but is the block and rotating assembly going to take it for years to come. Cause if you spend 15Gs on an engine its got to last more than one season. Should only need rings every two years and bearings every year depending on the recommendations from the manufacture.

Basicly all the money spent to boost the big block could be used for a proper na build that will last for years to come. If you need turbos then go small block stroker it will make the numbers and cost a lot less. Adding both to a big block will net you the most costly of both worlds. Also much bigger chance of smoking the big block with turbos than na as well. Never blown a head gasket on a all new na build cant say the same for boosted builds.

A boosted small block 406 will make 800 hp power properly tuned. Also you can bottle feed the boost in and if you smoke the block its only about 4-6 thousand to replace it.

I offer these options because a successful race program will require a solid engine. And that engine cant be 100% brand new every year or every few runs. Even if the sponsor is paying the bills that money can be spend in much better areas for improved et. Yes you can build a stock block 454 up and go but no reason to think it wont go up in smoke on the first pass. If you do have sponsors you still need to race every weekend with your new motor in the scap pile you will not be getting sponsor money next year. So if your going to spend good money on something you need to get some assurences it will not fly apart at the hp rating. A lot of people will say rpm kills engines but that is only becasue it can take more hp than rpm once the hp shoots up it is a very clear indicator of when the block will spread. You simply cant make more power than the block can contain. Once you reach that point which starts at 800 hp they start to fly apart.

Now that being said. If you dont care about smoking an engine and just want massive cheap power then grab a stock 400 or 350 junk yard good block and build with one of vizards recipes for junk yard 800 hp engines. Or boost the hell out of a cheap block. It will hold together for some time might last the race season might not but you will not have much in the block when it lets go.

Here is a list of world of products engines. Notice the 632 cube engine is the 800hp build. I suggested this combo because they will sell you one complete or in parts and have a guranteed 800 hp combo. You can also simply order one fully built and have it deleivered by next week. I see some suggestion that i know will not make as much power as ppl seem to think they do. Just want to offer a real option that will be worth the investment and not have you searching junk yards all over the country to make a 500 hp engine.
http://www.worldcastings.com/product...c-engines.html

Hope all this helps sorry for bouncing aorund alot but wanted to give some good info on all issue before you.

Last edited by hcompton; 12-09-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM

What about a low boost engine? The idea of a na bbc is compelling but I wanna ask all the questions before deciding what to potentially build

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.