help finding the right engine for a new BBC build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how could you go wrong even with a very low out put 540? and a turbo

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
What about a low boost engine? The idea of a na bbc is compelling but I wanna ask all the questions before deciding what to potentially build
Understood the low boost engine still has the same issues. They are best suited to lower power levels and will still require all the cost in controling charge temp and piping along with electronics and other high cost options. Clearly your not going to run some type of cheap spark retard or other inexpensive safety eqipment. Even waste gates and blow off valves will be a pile of money in 3 to 4 inch versions required by the big breather.

Just seems like more expense than benefit. You want to run a top number you will be better off with one straight forward type of engines. With boost and big power you will have a lot harder time tuning at the track for different types of weather and track conditions.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM

Last journal entry: no spark and fuel pump issue

thats very true i havae had those kind of issues witht the current small block
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
thats very true i havae had those kind of issues witht the current small block
Also gives your over all racing program a better chance at a long life. If you go to the track and run the same number every week you are half way to succes. Adding power is the fun part making big hp improvement is also in my opinoin the easy part. Most of the time your just trying to get the power you got to the track and down it.

Once it goes straight and performs the same everyday and you can drive it well with no issues then you can always poor on the power. For 800 hp in new car someone side you will hit the wall first time out well. Most of us just use throttle stop and have it pull off in high gear or not until the car is tuned. With the 632 you will have so much tq and power that you will be able to run the stop and keep it smooth always with a little more in reserve until you ready for the full blast down the track. Its always nice to be the guy running slower than his car can just to keep it smooth and consistant.

If a top drag team has a car that is fast some times and sometimes not. They will usally tune it back until its consistant then move on to feeding the power in slowly until they are sure its smooth and they can find why its not performing eveytime. No top fuel guys only need to pull there stuff back a few ponies to be off the mark so as you can imagine its not the desired solution but it is what they do. Nobody will say you cant reach the finals running slower than evey other person on the track. It happens all the time.

Perfect smooth runs win on a regular bases. The twin turbo big block is better suited to a class that needs that kind of sledgehammer power like a 10.5 outlaw class where you run 1500 or more hp and just hope to hook at some point down the track. They make 6 and 7 second passes but very wildly from pass to pass unless your running an open class i would hold off on the turbos.

Do you plan on getting a sponsor usally they like a gurantee of races or onlypay per race there name was featured in. One reason to run the wop or dart build up with there combo is you can always order the same motor you built and drop it in the car with minumal tuning and be back racing after major issue. You can build them cheaper yourself using the same parts and getting the same results but if you need one fast it nice to have an off the self build. That is the same as what you had. Cnc can problay provide a similar engine but i am not up to speed on there products.

Damn another book .....
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
What about a low boost engine? The idea of a na bbc is compelling but I wanna ask all the questions before deciding what to potentially build
not knowing you from adam, unless you have money out the wasoo.. to build a bulletproof drivetrain.. don't go bigblock and turbo..
the power it'll make is the power level alky cars stopped use'n transmissions, as they could not keep them in the cars.. and they have money to burn and no problem changing things out after a run or two..
everything will be high end parts, or you'll be that guy the racers hate see on the line as they'll know track delays will follow the tree count.. from you blowing up again..
I'd really really, go pick some of these guys that are running low 8's or better cars brains on just what it takes to keep them together..
a turbo bbc will be making as much or more than warren johnsons prostock car.. let that sink in.. and the $$$$$$$$ involved..
I'd start small, in this case a n/a bb and work from there..
it be one thing if you had the nova already running a strung out turbo'd small block and was stepping up from there..
the guys on yellow bullet just didn't bolt on a turbo and start running 170mph 1/8th , they did stepping stones.. or bought a proven car as a roller.. that was already build to the hilt..
a true 700+ hp car is a bear to handle , in the hands of someone used to a 400hp car.. nevvermind a 1000 ft lb+ beast
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure what my current setup nets power wise but I'm very fond of forced induction I have used it on a lot of my builds with success that's why I wanted to ask about boost on a bbc before proceeding
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm not sure what my current setup nets power wise but I'm very fond of forced induction I have used it on a lot of my builds with success that's why I wanted to ask about boost on a bbc before proceeding
boost was made(s/c & turbo's) to make up for a lack of cubic inches..
something bigblocks don't have a problem with..
adding a turbo to a big big block. is like hitting the button with 3 stages and a 700hp shot..
everything in the car will get hammered.. hard.. when you do this things break, allot..
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
If your ready to change fuels cam2, meth, e85 at least but pump gas big block will almost be slower with the turbos on the street. You will need to pull the motor back so far it wont be any fun on the street until the boost drops like a hammer. Then you will make too much power. Atleast with cubes you can always just use one toe on the gas pedal and be able to make it across town for short trip.

If you want a meth alky engine no problem you can whick the power up like crazy but with pump gas your options are not good. Low compression engines blow and are not fun at all. Fyi if you get big cube with pump gas compression you will be able to switch over to turbos/blower and alky and make a crap load of power in race only trim. With out building an engine.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 PM

there is a kind of local(Ashcroft) guy that has a turbo propane BB street car that runs low 10s in a chevelle.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
there is a kind of local(Ashcroft) guy that has a turbo propane BB street car that runs low 10s in a chevelle.
I agree there are tons of crazy builds that make mad power. Some of the ls stuff out there is nuts but how smooth is an 800 hp engine with turbos going to be. My 300 hp mustang four cylinder would spin tires at 30 mph when the boost hit and it would do it so smooth you wouldnt even realize they were spinning. With bad tires it was so aweful the car would speed up when you let off the gas cause the tires finally grabs some traction.

With a build in the 800 hp range it will be amplified. And with turbos 1/4 throttle is almost as good as all the way down once its spooling. So no real way to hold it back on the street. Even if you only push the pedal down 1/3 the way down you could get near full power or maybe 600-700 hp out of it. I tried to explain this to a cop when he pulled me over for smoking the tires on the highway at 55 mph it didnt go well.

But turbos dont run the same everyday some times its just faster than others sucks for timed racing since you got to be right on your index.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 PM

So what kind of builds are there out there for a 800-1000 hp build and price range
Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 PM

single 4 bbl 598 inches,920 hp,N.A. $16,000
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
So what kind of builds are there out there for a 800-1000 hp build and price range
496 9000-10000.oo
happy gas shot of 200hp 600.oo
progressive controller 3-500.oo
Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 PM

i dont wanna run nitrous on the car i dont know a lot about building a motor for nitrous and it doesnt make sense for a car driven on the street but a 496 sounds pretty awesome and a 598 would certainly get the job done with a price tag that doesnt hurt too bad at least over time

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.