help finding the right engine for a new BBC build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Last journal entry: no spark and fuel pump issue
Wiki Edits: 0

help finding the right engine for a new BBC build

hey guys im looking to start putting a bbc together to throw in one of my cars later on but i wanna do a big block since ive never done one and i envy the guys with the crazy powered big blocks so i wanna do one..but i need help picking one out im not sure whether it matter going with a later one like the ones in the late model pick up since they are 4 bolts or the early ones from the 60's 70's and if anybody knows a good solid and affordable place to get a block or short block thanks again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM

what is the engine going live in? How much power and technology do you want?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

look for a late 70's to late 80's truck
most likely will be a standard bore ,never rebuilt engine..
may or maynot be 4 bolt
may or maynot have forged crank
will have peanut port heads (junk for hotrod)

you can add 4 bolt caps, and forged crank if you feel you'll need them..
or go stroker..
my 454 came out of a 81 dually.. it was forged crank, four bolt 7/16bolt rods
with peanut port heads..
I lucked out someone dropped a shortblock in the truck not long before it was totalled..
and bought a overkill lowerend..
good luck
don't forget your local machine shop. most likely has a bbc core.. or knows people selling one..
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM

well i currently have a sbc thats turboed that i plan to take and set the turbo up on the engine later on down the line maybe a year or so from now low compression and boost lol it would be going into a 70 nova
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
well i currently have a sbc thats turboed that i plan to take and set the turbo up on the engine later on down the line maybe a year or so from now low compression and boost lol it would be going into a 70 nova
hope you plan on big $$ parts..
I'd look at a new dart block..
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

best bang for the buck is a 540.push that Nova into the 9s if the driveline doesnt get obliterated
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 AM

Last photo:

help finding the right engine for a new BBC build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
Let's get this clear, you are going to put a big block in a 70 Nova and install a turbo on this engine later. If this is the plan do you want less than 9:1 compression ratio also? In my opinion it would be easier to build a 496 stroker. Using the right set of heads and camshaft with 10.2 compression ratio you would have a pump gas friendly motor. You probably would have about 600-650 hp.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Old & Furious

Sounds like you need an after market tall deck block. You can make about the same power with small and big blocks if turbos and n2o are ok then the only thing holding you back will be the strength of the block both will give up the game around 800 to 1000 hp. In which case you need a aftermarket block with bigger cubes and bores to make big power.

If all you want to make is 800 hp you already got that combo ready to go. Should be able to make 800 to 1200 hp with small block it wont live long but nothing will at that power level.

Blocks will spider web and crack along the valley once this happens you will hit 800 hp at high rpm crank will push out of alignment and all the rods and pistons will explode and take the crank with it. Only a magnaflux will reveal the problem was the block let go. Most ppl will think the rods let out and took the block out but if all the rods are broken along with a few pistons it was the block that gave up. Cracks running up and down the crank to lifter valley are from bad block or block letting go. Cracks on the side are from rods hititng them.

Hope that helps i know it didnt amswer your question. But really your only good option is World of products or dart block. Factory blocks should be kept under 800 hp casue bbc is so much money to build a grenade. Best to leave that to the small block greanade builds.

Fyi if track only some people run 40-50 psi of boost with alky and carb bonet/box. Also runs very cold so motors live a long time. Best way to go with cheap turbo track only racer.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Hope you have deep pockets and Lots of fabricating experence, for the Nova body will not handle the power without a good cage it will crack at windsheild pillows and rear of roof ,if i understood correctly you are going to be street driven ,i am running 496 aluminum heads ,intake tripower and alum waterpump only 60 lbs difference in weight of sbc personally i would stay away from tall deck ,just my opinion, engine will be only small part of cost as compared to setting up rest of car
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM

The build is going to be done over time so while I'm not trying to take out a second mortgage I'm not gonna fret the cost too much... And I will stay around 9:1 cr I'd like to make around 800-1000 hp and I do plan on getting a cage put in the car a friend of mines father owns a pretty well know cage builder here on Long Island so I will be having that done also now I'm confused some guys are saying tall deck other are saying no whays the benefits or draw backs to the tall deck ...btw this will be a car that will see both street and strip
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

My opinion for the standard deck is parts avalibility and cost better head choice and weight ,you can check GM catalog for shipping weight for 366 tall deck 427 as compared to 454 or 502 ,366 being the heavest thicker walls heavy casting some tall deck use 4 ring pistons and heavt crank as they were designed as a truck engine like the 409 when they have rite parts they make LOTS of power ,i would recomend looking at Jegs ,Summitt.or someone for parts and price difference ,Just my opimion dont make it wright Good luck
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Old & Furious

With this wop tall deck block you can run a 4.59 stock bore with several over bores avalible and a 4.75 crank. That will give you a solid 628 cubes!!!
World Products - MERLIN III 10.200" Deck Iron Blocks

You can aslo bore it to 4.625 so lots of room for rebuilds at 628 cubes. Should last for years and be able to handle the power you are looking to make.

Also the tall deck allows you to make a big enough engine to actaully make 800 without turbos and other crazy stuff that is not needed. If you decide to go outlaw or 8.90 class racing you can boost for 2000+ hp.

They do have a aluminum block as well. But dam i think the price of good forged everything will be plenty to bite off just to build the proper short block. They do sell a short and Tall in aluminum.

Tall deck is the way to go since you get an extra inchof stroke. From 3.75 to 4.75 thats good for almost a hundred cubes. Once you spent that cash the power will come alot easier and be at a lot lower rpm.

Then get heads big enough to actually support that kind of power.

Yes do a full cage and backhalf with roll cahe running from front frame rails and replacing the back have of the frame with tubing and good rear end setup made for the type of racing you do.

Any place to get E85 near you. Its usally 100 octane. A lot of people are switching over to e85 setups for that reason and its cheap. You can also buy a race demon or speed demon carb setup for e85 ready to race. If so an NA build may be your best option. Running high compression 600 cubes with big cam will make a nova jump and run. It will tear the stock body and chassis in half even on street tires if it hooks just an fyi. May want to think about a tube chassis car with fake 60s corvette body or some of the other kits they have out there for racing.

Hope all that helps.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Old & Furious

Next get some good heads like these. Wop heads that they can help you match up with cam and other parts to make a proper combo that works together right.

World Products - BMP BBC 16 Degree Aluminum Cylinder Heads.

Also just an fyi if you look around you can buy wop products a lot cheaper than retail price. Just got to finda. Retailer that will drop the massive profit margine and handle the transaction for you. Wop does not sell dorect unless you got a tax id and buisness name. May be worth the hassle to get setup with them as a reselelr just to squeak and engines worth of stuff out of them.

Ok im done now.lol
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

for your first bbc..
I'd stick with a 489/496 with a stock block...
get the car done, drive it.. see where the weaknesses are..(THERE WILL BE MANY) get it to stay together.. after you have that sorted out..
then start a engine build for your crazy power level..
if you drop a 800+ engine in an unknown car, meaning not sorted out..
you'll park it into the wall and ball it up.. and be back to square ONE!!!!
today it's way to easy to build power and get yourself in trouble.. with more engine than car.. ya, all those turbo'd cars look fun.. but they are balled up a lot.. as it get hairy real fast.. a bbc with a turbo will be like try'n to pedal a john force flopper... by the time you lift it's to late..
start smaller and work up to the crazy..
you'll be glad you did
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Wow that's a lot of good info... Yeah hcompton I plan on back halving the car and running the hoops from the frot frame rails like u said ... I'm really bent on using this turbo system on this car though sorry for the stubborness

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.