Hot Rod Forum banner

help finding the right engine for a new BBC build

5K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  Pupsvette76 
#1 ·
hey guys im looking to start putting a bbc together to throw in one of my cars later on but i wanna do a big block since ive never done one and i envy the guys with the crazy powered big blocks so i wanna do one..but i need help picking one out im not sure whether it matter going with a later one like the ones in the late model pick up since they are 4 bolts or the early ones from the 60's 70's and if anybody knows a good solid and affordable place to get a block or short block thanks again

#3 ·
look for a late 70's to late 80's truck
most likely will be a standard bore ,never rebuilt engine..
may or maynot be 4 bolt
may or maynot have forged crank
will have peanut port heads (junk for hotrod)

you can add 4 bolt caps, and forged crank if you feel you'll need them..
or go stroker..
my 454 came out of a 81 dually.. it was forged crank, four bolt 7/16bolt rods
with peanut port heads..
I lucked out someone dropped a shortblock in the truck not long before it was totalled..
and bought a overkill lowerend..
good luck
don't forget your local machine shop. most likely has a bbc core.. or knows people selling one..

#8 ·
Hope you have deep pockets and Lots of fabricating experence, for the Nova body will not handle the power without a good cage it will crack at windsheild pillows and rear of roof ,if i understood correctly you are going to be street driven ,i am running 496 aluminum heads ,intake tripower and alum waterpump only 60 lbs difference in weight of sbc personally i would stay away from tall deck ,just my opinion, engine will be only small part of cost as compared to setting up rest of car

#9 ·
The build is going to be done over time so while I'm not trying to take out a second mortgage I'm not gonna fret the cost too much... And I will stay around 9:1 cr I'd like to make around 800-1000 hp and I do plan on getting a cage put in the car a friend of mines father owns a pretty well know cage builder here on Long Island so I will be having that done also now I'm confused some guys are saying tall deck other are saying no whays the benefits or draw backs to the tall deck ...btw this will be a car that will see both street and strip

#10 ·
My opinion for the standard deck is parts avalibility and cost better head choice and weight ,you can check GM catalog for shipping weight for 366 tall deck 427 as compared to 454 or 502 ,366 being the heavest thicker walls heavy casting some tall deck use 4 ring pistons and heavt crank as they were designed as a truck engine like the 409 when they have rite parts they make LOTS of power ,i would recomend looking at Jegs ,Summitt.or someone for parts and price difference ,Just my opimion dont make it wright Good luck

#11 ·
for your first bbc..
I'd stick with a 489/496 with a stock block...
get the car done, drive it.. see where the weaknesses are..(THERE WILL BE MANY) get it to stay together.. after you have that sorted out..
then start a engine build for your crazy power level..
if you drop a 800+ engine in an unknown car, meaning not sorted out..
you'll park it into the wall and ball it up.. and be back to square ONE!!!!
today it's way to easy to build power and get yourself in trouble.. with more engine than car.. ya, all those turbo'd cars look fun.. but they are balled up a lot.. as it get hairy real fast.. a bbc with a turbo will be like try'n to pedal a john force flopper... by the time you lift it's to late..
start smaller and work up to the crazy..
you'll be glad you did

#13 ·
my 489 will be 775hp and over 700 ft lb
and the cam is mild for a solid roller..
a turbo.. is really not needed..
if you have 30+ grnd to spend on an engine ,by all means go for it..
if you think your bolting a scat crank and rods in a bbc and turbo'n it.. and it living.. for 5-9k build cost.. good luck..
my 489
core 800.oo(running)
forged crank /h beam rods/ati balancer/sfi flexplate/pistons(srp) rings and bearings (in 2002) was 2900.oo on sale
roller cam and all the gear for it(cam/lifter/springs/locks/v.seals/retainers 1500.oo
2 piece timing cover 170.00
hex a just roller timing set 80 ish
full roller rockers 450.00
dartpro 1 345 heads 1995.00 (in 2002 about 2800 now)
dart single plane intake 460.00
arp studs main &head 370.oo
arp bolt set for bbc 200 ish
msd distrubutor 290.oo
oil pan/oil pump and pick up, dipstick 550+
serp belt set up 880.oo
carb 600+ (and you want turbo so efi 2500-4000+ )
still need to machine block, it's only been mag'd
pushrods, valve covers, a/c compressor/alt/ps pump/water pump/
miss little stuff like gaskets/etc
this little(by todays standards big block ) will be over 10k easy
and I bought the parts in 2002 the prices are not less now..
your turbo(s) will be 3000.oo cause your not gonna put a 500.oo china turbo in front of a 10-30k bullet (at least I would not)
never mind the 10k-15+ in the car backhalf and equipment needed to keep the nova in one piece
good luck
whenyou hit the lotto, send some my way, thanks

#20 ·
go to a heads up outlaw class race and you'll get a better "feel" for whats required..
cause a bbc nova like you're talking is a 8 sec car..
thats a track only car.. unless you believe those drag week cars run all summer on the streets..
NHRA will require you to get a lic. to drive it. on their tracks
you're talking large coin..
when I was looking at back half'n my chevelle it was over 15k to cage and half it.. so it pass a nhra inspection..
today minitubbed /caged/framed cars are jus as fast.. but not any cheaper to build..
good luck..

#21 ·
If I was going to build a motor with the power that you are talking about I would start out with a brand new short block. I know this short block is built with Scat or Eagle crank and rods. When I built my 496 I called and talked to CNC Motorsports about my kit. I was told that they will put together a kit with parts of my choice as long as they carry the parts. I didn't want the SRP pistons and wanted Keith Black Icon Forged pistons. So if you want a better quality crank and rods look at the brands they have and call them for a price on the kit with parts you want. Check out this short block. CNC Competition Short Block, BB Chevy 540, 4.250' Crank, 6.385' Rods, 9.0:1 SRP Pistons - Big Block Chevy 540-565 Short Blocks - Short Blocks | CNC Motorsports | Car Parts | Truck Parts | Competition Engines

#28 ·
not knowing you from adam, unless you have money out the wasoo.. to build a bulletproof drivetrain.. don't go bigblock and turbo..
the power it'll make is the power level alky cars stopped use'n transmissions, as they could not keep them in the cars.. and they have money to burn and no problem changing things out after a run or two..
everything will be high end parts, or you'll be that guy the racers hate see on the line as they'll know track delays will follow the tree count.. from you blowing up again..
I'd really really, go pick some of these guys that are running low 8's or better cars brains on just what it takes to keep them together..
a turbo bbc will be making as much or more than warren johnsons prostock car.. let that sink in.. and the $$$$$$$$ involved..
I'd start small, in this case a n/a bb and work from there..
it be one thing if you had the nova already running a strung out turbo'd small block and was stepping up from there..
the guys on yellow bullet just didn't bolt on a turbo and start running 170mph 1/8th , they did stepping stones.. or bought a proven car as a roller.. that was already build to the hilt..
a true 700+ hp car is a bear to handle , in the hands of someone used to a 400hp car.. nevvermind a 1000 ft lb+ beast

#30 ·
boost was made(s/c & turbo's) to make up for a lack of cubic inches..
something bigblocks don't have a problem with..
adding a turbo to a big big block. is like hitting the button with 3 stages and a 700hp shot..
everything in the car will get hammered.. hard.. when you do this things break, allot..

#35 ·
i dont wanna run nitrous on the car i dont know a lot about building a motor for nitrous and it doesnt make sense for a car driven on the street but a 496 sounds pretty awesome and a 598 would certainly get the job done with a price tag that doesnt hurt too bad at least over time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.