help with a flat cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

help with a flat cam

need help 2007 1500 silverodo Chevy truck since day one it has had problems burning oil, 4 months ago dealer finally put new rings in it, now they say I have flat cam, I know nothing about truck engines or anything, my question is due to the oil burning issue since I purchased the truck could that have caused the flat cam issue, I need proof where would I find it? I just went 1000 miles over the warranty this week, then the problem started, I have hundred thousand miles on it. thanks for any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Depends on which engine as to whether I call BS or not. Likely you have a roller cam and if it's flat, you have serious issues and should be able to hear it a block away. What are your symptoms?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM

flat cam

thank you for your reply, I just asked yes it is a roller cam, the engine ticks since this morning I drove straight to the dealer and they said flat cam and its not under warranty because I am 1000 miles over, I am on my way there right now and will tell them what you said, I do have all the paperwork, also will search the internet and see if I can find proof the roller cam is directly related to the burning oil issue, you are a great help thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpwithmychevytruck
thank you for your reply, I just asked yes it is a roller cam, the engine ticks since this morning I drove straight to the dealer and they said flat cam and its not under warranty because I am 1000 miles over, I am on my way there right now and will tell them what you said, I do have all the paperwork, also will search the internet and see if I can find proof the roller cam is directly related to the burning oil issue, you are a great help thanks
OK, with a little more detail, we can get a little deeper. Burning oil won't hurt the cam. Running it low might, but you'll likely hurt a lot more before the roller on the lifter or cam were damaged. So, I vote NO on the burning oil being related. A ticking lifter is likely simply a ticking lifter, ie, a lifter collapsing or simply not priming properly. Here's the deal there - they just put rings in it and to do so requires pulling the head which also removes all rockers and rocker arms unloading the lifters. SOMETIMES, they will get sticky and tick or many other nuisances when tinkered with after high mileage. This is a Sincha situation. "Sincha worked on my truck, it does this..." I normally run "sinchas" out of my shop, but you have a problem that's been going on for some time and once it was repaired, another somewhat common issue showed its head as a result, call GM customer care and I'll bet they extend the warranty for the ticking. Dealers DO NOT have final say in warranty coverage. Actually, they have NO say outside of an occasional Goodwill. The manufacture does and the majority of the time when they are approached in an intelligent manner they will take care of it. It's a rare day when they won't extend a warranty past 1000 miles after a history of problems. They want to sell you another one.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 PM

burning oil.

Lets see now,2007 truck,you said has been burning oil since you bought it.1st ,how long have you had it? 2nd Why didn"t you just take it back after you found the problem.3rd Did you buy the truck from this dealer you are dealing with or not?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

flat cam

thank you for your reply, yes purchase at the dealed dec 24 2007 the problem started that day check engine lite went on, I retuned the truck the day after xams however they then had me do a mile sheet of some sort, since then burning oil, i have been in contact with gmac and dealer, it has been on going since day one, they did not want to fix the rings however in a site like this i got the information I needed and they just did it about 6 months ago, nI dont think they care whether I buy from them or not in the last 4 years I have purchased 3 trucks besides this one, one I walked in and paid cash, so I really dont think they care, they know I am ready to replace my fleet once again and still I get the run around, I am waiting for a call back from gmac and the dealer so far nothing, I am using all replies to help me thank you
Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
OK, with a little more detail, we can get a little deeper. Burning oil won't hurt the cam. Running it low might, but you'll likely hurt a lot more before the roller on the lifter or cam were damaged. So, I vote NO on the burning oil being related. A ticking lifter is likely simply a ticking lifter, ie, a lifter collapsing or simply not priming properly. Here's the deal there - they just put rings in it and to do so requires pulling the head which also removes all rockers and rocker arms unloading the lifters. SOMETIMES, they will get sticky and tick or many other nuisances when tinkered with after high mileage. This is a Sincha situation. "Sincha worked on my truck, it does this..." I normally run "sinchas" out of my shop, but you have a problem that's been going on for some time and once it was repaired, another somewhat common issue showed its head as a result, call GM customer care and I'll bet they extend the warranty for the ticking. Dealers DO NOT have final say in warranty coverage. Actually, they have NO say outside of an occasional Goodwill. The manufacture does and the majority of the time when they are approached in an intelligent manner they will take care of it. It's a rare day when they won't extend a warranty past 1000 miles after a history of problems. They want to sell you another one.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM

problem truck.

Dealerships can be A-holes to customers if you let them.I would send a certified letter to G.M stating your problem and if you don"t get any responce get the media involved with your case.Have all your stuff in order as G.M. has some high dollar and politically involved lawyers.No need to mess with Better business bureau because they are just another overpaid group.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM

flat cam

better business bureau HA! now thats a joke, you got that correct, media good idea. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYRODS
Dealerships can be A-holes to customers if you let them.I would send a certified letter to G.M stating your problem and if you don"t get any responce get the media involved with your case.Have all your stuff in order as G.M. has some high dollar and politically involved lawyers.No need to mess with Better business bureau because they are just another overpaid group.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Let me tell you, I've loved chevys all my life but when i had 4 stupid electrical warranty repairs on my '06 1500 with a "who cares?" attidude from the dealer I finally fixed it by parking an F250 in my driveway
Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 PM

flat cam

cute thats about where I am at now, good for you!! maybe I will get the ford and drive over to the dealer in it when I pick my truck up, also attach a big lemon on the side of it as I pull out, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52fatness
Let me tell you, I've loved chevys all my life but when i had 4 stupid electrical warranty repairs on my '06 1500 with a "who cares?" attidude from the dealer I finally fixed it by parking an F250 in my driveway
Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Maybe it's just me, but I would have used the lemon law years ago and had the issure taken care of by the end of 2008. No way in hell I would have kept an obvious dog that long.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM

flat cam

beleive me I have been all over it, I have a paper trail, I have tried the lemon law thats how I got them to replace the rings, I am just trying to find out if the flat cam, which turns out is roller cam or something like that is related to the burning oil issue, if I can prove that they will have to fix the current problem free of charge, at this point they called and said it was 3000.00 however will only charge me 500.00, I am still fighting however will pay the 500.00 if they can finally fix my truck, thank you so much for your insight. I will never deal with this dealer ship again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
Maybe it's just me, but I would have used the lemon law years ago and had the issure taken care of by the end of 2008. No way in hell I would have kept an obvious dog that long.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Relating the noise with it burning oil won't fly - unless you ran it out, then it's on you. Focus on the "sincha" aspect plus the fact it's been a problem since birth and you'll get better mileage with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpwithmychevytruck
I will never deal with this dealer ship again.
Be sure to only mention that AFTER it's fixed.

Also, don't confuse GMAC with GM Customer Care. 2 different animals. Customer care is listed in the back of your owner's manual, you know, that dusty book crammed under the crescent wrench and unpaid parking tickets in the glove box.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM

flat cam

what is "sincha" when i google it i see asian style dance???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
Relating the noise with it burning oil won't fly - unless you ran it out, then it's on you. Focus on the "sincha" aspect plus the fact it's been a problem since birth and you'll get better mileage with them.

Be sure to only mention that AFTER it's fixed.

Also, don't confuse GMAC with GM Customer Care. 2 different animals. Customer care is listed in the back of your owner's manual, you know, that dusty book crammed under the crescent wrench and unpaid parking tickets in the glove box.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.