Help with Fuel pump ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: macon ga
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help with Fuel pump ?

Its a 1988 chevy 1500 with a 350 engine. I just bought this truck ,and it was running but had to get the fuel tank cleaned and replaced fuel pump and sending unit cause it was all gunked up from old gas. just put it all together and now it want run. meaning fuel pump. and plus there is no fire at fuse under hood on firewall. I checked fire at plugin were it connects to sending unit,and with the plug unpluged, it has fire on middle wire but when i plug it up it loses fire, meaning i took a test light and tested both middle wires on each side of the plug ends ,but i can unhook it and the middle has fire.can someone tell me how the fuse might have lost its fire and and were should i start. Im not that good with this kind of problem but with some good advice i know i can fix it. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,810
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie43
Its a 1988 chevy 1500 with a 350 engine. I just bought this truck ,and it was running but had to get the fuel tank cleaned and replaced fuel pump and sending unit cause it was all gunked up from old gas. just put it all together and now it want run. meaning fuel pump. and plus there is no fire at fuse under hood on firewall. I checked fire at plugin were it connects to sending unit,and with the plug unpluged, it has fire on middle wire but when i plug it up it loses fire, meaning i took a test light and tested both middle wires on each side of the plug ends ,but i can unhook it and the middle has fire.can someone tell me how the fuse might have lost its fire and and were should i start. Im not that good with this kind of problem but with some good advice i know i can fix it. thanks
Hmmmmmm. I'm kinda confused. What middle wires are you talking about? Can you post some pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: macon ga
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Hmmmmmm. I'm kinda confused. What middle wires are you talking about? Can you post some pictures?
Im talking about were it plugs together at the fuel tank. or from truck wire harnest to fuel pump at fuel tank. the plug has 3 wires , 3 going from plug to fuse box , other side of plug goes to fuel pump in tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM
vicrod's Avatar
life is a ride
 

Last journal entry: LED tail lights
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Telford, PA
Age: 71
Posts: 1,237
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
The wiring schematic on www.autozone.com indicates that the ECM energizes the fuel pump relay. This will run the pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system.
Once the engine starts and builds oil pressure a separate oil pressure switch closes and powers the fuel pump.
There is also a fuel pump prime connection (test) point under the hood. This test point is for priming and testing only
To test the fuel pump, run a jumper from the battery + to this test point.
Also, connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure test port.
The TAN/WHITE wire is the fuel pump wire. You must have 12 volt+ on this wire for the fuel pump to run. Also, the fuel tank must be solidly grounded for the fuel pump the work.

vicrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: macon ga
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
The wiring schematic on www.autozone.com indicates that the ECM energizes the fuel pump relay. This will run the pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system.
Once the engine starts and builds oil pressure a separate oil pressure switch closes and powers the fuel pump.
There is also a fuel pump prime connection (test) point under the hood. This test point is for priming and testing only
To test the fuel pump, run a jumper from the battery + to this test point.
Also, connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure test port.
The TAN/WHITE wire is the fuel pump wire. You must have 12 volt+ on this wire for the fuel pump to run. Also, the fuel tank must be solidly grounded for the fuel pump the work.

vicrod
thankyou for your advice , after reading your post ,i went and checked the ground at the tank,and put a test light clamp on the ground bolt and touched a pos wire ,and light didnt lite up, so i took bolt off and cleaned it and frame good and hooked it back up and turned the key on and i heard the pump for about 2-3 sec then cranked it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,878
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
95 gmc jimmy fuel pump won't shut off/fuel pump relay garystrosnider Electrical 7 10-28-2010 07:10 AM
Fuel Pump Not Sending Gas To Carb Why?? Its Not Electric Fuel Pump???? zeeman19 Engine 7 02-13-2007 03:17 PM
Inline fuel pump vs. in tank fuel pump wheel-7 Engine 2 09-02-2006 06:57 AM
TPI 350 fuel pump *VERSUS* a Multiport 2.8L fuel pump boneyard Buick Engine 8 06-04-2006 11:56 PM
TPI 350 fuel pump *VERSUS* a Multiport 2.8L fuel pump boneyard Buick Engine 0 03-18-2006 09:40 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.