Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help from GM Owners
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp23g7 View Post
So, I may need some help from you that may have had or still has a Chevy before. The 41 Chrysler Street rod needs a front end rebuild.

I contacted the guy that built it, and he said he made it with the front suspension of a 70 Monte Carlo, I never believed that as its way too narrow.

I called him the other day and he said it may be 69 Nova, can any of you guys help?

I googled the part number of the Pitman arm pictured and it comes up as a 68-69 Chevelle/Firebird/Camaro, so possibly a Nova too,

I tried the caliper pictured but it didn't come up as anything, do the pictures look familiar to anyone?
First, it's definitely NOT a 69 Nova. The 1968-74 Nova (and 67-69 Camaro/Firebird) were rear steer cars with the steering linkage behind the crossmember. If the spindles use bolt-on steering arms and the steering linkage is in front of the crossmember, then it's almost certainly a 1964-72 A-body clip. That includes the 70-72 Monte, in case you were wondering. Note that the 64-67 A-body suspension was about 1.5" narrower than the 68-72 cars. The good news for you is that most of the rebuild parts (ball joints and bushings) are the same between the A-body and the Camaro/Nova cars. The center links are definitely different and you should match your old one up with the replacement.