HELP got dirt?in paint how to clean after wet sand&with what - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

HELP got dirt?in paint how to clean after wet sand&with what

So I just did the muscle car for a fella wanted it done in that blitz black.Well after I blocked the car I sprayed it off with air then cleaned it with scotts shop towels&water(I used w&g remover prior to primer) well after that I used tack cloths&blew off again.But as I was spraying I started seeing dirt in the paint.I've never have had that problem&I always paint in my shop&prep the same way.I did the hood first then I as I was about half through the hood I sprayed&dust flew allover!I tacked it off&said screw it.As I was almost done.So when I got done I waited a bit&wet sanded it out its all smooth now.
My question is what to clean the body with now before I respray.Why could this of happened?Never&I mean never had this issue.Im guessing maybe some dust got caught in some jambs that I missed.Anyways best way to clean this while its still masked?
Please excuse any typos or terseness: this email was sent from my mobile and I have clumsy fingers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cutthroatkid For This Useful Post:
deadbodyman (05-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
So I just did the muscle car for a fella wanted it done in that blitz black.Well after I blocked the car I sprayed it off with air then cleaned it with scotts shop towels&water(I used w&g remover prior to primer) well after that I used tack cloths&blew off again.But as I was spraying I started seeing dirt in the paint.I've never have had that problem&I always paint in my shop&prep the same way.I did the hood first then I as I was about half through the hood I sprayed&dust flew allover!I tacked it off&said screw it.As I was almost done.So when I got done I waited a bit&wet sanded it out its all smooth now.
My question is what to clean the body with now before I respray.Why could this of happened?Never&I mean never had this issue.Im guessing maybe some dust got caught in some jambs that I missed.Anyways best way to clean this while its still masked?
Please excuse any typos or terseness: this email was sent from my mobile and I have clumsy fingers.
Right before you paint you wipe down with W&G and tack thats it...sounds like there was a lot of dirt still in the car after blowing it off or dust and dirt from the shop...I always use the blower to blow down the whole shop while the fan is on then the car .it might have been a windy day out too finding out where the dirt is coming from can be a bit frustrating at times...I found dirt was coming in from my ceiling when I turned the fan on ,it was sucking dirt from the seams so they all had to be sealed up now its working fine...even in a paint booth ,the caulk seperates from the seams... and where does all the dirt from the shop settle? on the roof of the paint booth,so there a plentful supply of dust and dirt up there.... I couldnt believe how much dirt and dust was up there, it dont take much of a crack in the caulk to let dirt in when the booth fan is on. not an issue with two fans that create a positive pressure,when you turn them on the dirt actually blows OUT of the booth insted of getting sucked in...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
Yep the car or YOU are sources for dirt when painting. Blowing out every nook and cranny on the car is one of the most important things to do, under the wheel wells, in the jambs, etc. Maybe something was missed? And letting it settle is another. If you are painting with a booth that dust and crap can stay air borne a long time. When I would paint without a booth I would leave the car for a few hours even before walking back in there to shoot. I use to like to prepare the night before then walk into the shop or garage or where ever you are painting in the morning, ahhhhh no noise, no dust, just you and a masked up car. LOL, I haven't done that in years.

Brian
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I use to like to prepare the night before then walk into the shop or garage or where ever you are painting in the morning, ahhhhh no noise, no dust, just you and a masked up car. LOL, I haven't done that in years.

Brian
That's the only way I've done it for 40 years. in my garage…. no booth. one big point I learned was to NEVER clean your spray area the day, or hour, or whatever, before painting. you're just stirring up dust that will settle on your new paint.

Russ
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Besides it's sort of "spiritual" walking in there like that. It really separates you and everything else, you know what I mean? It's just you and these panels that you need to cover with paint, nothing else.

Brian
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

this thread makes me feel as though I'm putting way too much effort, time, and $$ into making my paint booth. Which is almost done btw.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

One of the biggest reasons why you want a booth is to pull out the overspray so it doesn't fall back on your finish, and of course for the safety. Believe me, spraying a car in a garage with overspray so thick you can barely see the paint you are laying on is no fun. And then right as your paint is flashing the overspray falls on it and kills the shine, again, not fun.

Brian
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
this thread makes me feel as though I'm putting way too much effort, time, and $$ into making my paint booth. Which is almost done btw.
I shot the 64 Vette in my garage……. but just because I've never used a booth doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have one.

Russ
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep the car or YOU are sources for dirt when painting. Blowing out every nook and cranny on the car is one of the most important things to do, under the wheel wells, in the jambs, etc. Maybe something was missed? And letting it settle is another. If you are painting with a booth that dust and crap can stay air borne a long time. When I would paint without a booth I would leave the car for a few hours even before walking back in there to shoot. I use to like to prepare the night before then walk into the shop or garage or where ever you are painting in the morning, ahhhhh no noise, no dust, just you and a masked up car. LOL, I haven't done that in years.

Brian
Absolutely,Thats the way I alwaysused to do my overalls ,early, while the dew is still on the ground.You got all day and theres no pressure

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.