Help with head casting marks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with head casting marks

Hey guys, I have just purchased a 350 chev motor over here, which is on its way to me now, but I can't find the casting mark at front of heads in any of my books, similar to 993 small but appears different. I dont have the patience to wait for it to arrive, so if someone can help with it, I can decide what parts I need to rebuild it and if I can sell my heads I have here already..http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=296085679
if you can click on the photo to enlarge it I think it will work..thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

whaaaaats uuuuuupppp

71-76 76cc, best large-chamber head; 1.94/1.50 & 2.02/1.60 valves available; latter machined for screw-in studs & guideplates
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

they look like good heads
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

www.fastnuf.com/Headguide.html thats the web site were a got the info from
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM

487 castings? open chamber, the guy I bought the engine off said on the phone if its going in a street car to not touch anything as it was wild as it was but with 487 heads woukd mean low compression more than likey so may remove heads and put my sportsman heads on. how do they appear to be good heads, most people stay away from open chamber 1970s heads dont they
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`s one of these numbers:
All are large 76cc chamber heads.
It looks as if the engine you purchased has the short water pump and old school pulley arrangement. The intake certainly isn`t the hot tip for a street engine, a dual plane would be much better. As far as performance goes your correct on the heads, they`re not very good performance wise. If you plan to run the cam that`s in this engine, make sure you cycle the engine as if it were new upon start up, run it 1800 - 2300 RPM for 20 minutes. Lack of doing so will wipe the cam out. If you keep the heads pop the valve covers and see which springs are in the open position, you can bet they are shot after being open so many years. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 PM

THANKS, i have just been recently unemployed so jumped into this motor, as I was building a 383, have since put my parts of the local trademe website which I purchased that engine off, but am building my car as a hot street/strip car, so from what you guys have told me I'll be ditching the heads, refeshing the block ( bearings rings etc, new cam if current cam is no good, but wil put my own top end on which I have here already. Many thanks, thought it was to good to be true..
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Providing the pistons and bottom end is good you likely came out well. You can sell the heads as well as the intake, if I was close to NZ I`d buy the intake as I like the older intakes. The Edelbrock Scorpion as what`s on this engine is hard to come by now days. The one we used to have had medium sized race ports in it and performed well on a drag engine.
As you can see here they seem to go for a high price as well, but I am not sure if the seller will get what he`s asking. The power band of the Scorpion intake is the same as the Victor Jr. which replaced the scorpion.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...item3cadf1cbf5
Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

your right ther junk then it must have flat pistons not 12cc dish
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM

wow, 199 us, is it 275nz dollars.Original plan was to sell the top end, heads/manifold/carb ignition for like 500nz + roughly 350us, strip bottom end, chuck on my sportsman 2 heads, team g, 750 dp and ignition, and sacrifice torque and 20 off hp but givig away the 383 idea as now Im not working, just for a acid dip, rebore, and a skim off the top of the block is like 800nz 530-550usand pistons for 383 are like 300nz-200us plus the rest, is saving me a few thousand.. the guy told me on the phone he got the engine built for his camaro racecar in usa 8 years ago. Things must have been a lot different back then as i wouldnt even consider getting an engine built on the other side of the world these days, would come back a procomp motor
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

There`s no telling the stories you`ll hear especially when they come from here in the states. If it was his race engine, I don`t think he planned on winning. The thing over here is, you`d be surprised at the number that build what they believe are high performance engines which are really nothing more than a pile of junk. Bad info gets carried from one person to another and it seems to carry on from there. A guy will get told he needs this and that by a person who hasn`t a clue on what he`s doing but proclaims to be a engine genius. So the guy builds a small block chevy, uses dish pistons, junk smogger heads, slaps a huge cam in it, then a open plane intake with a huge carb, sticks it in a car with 2.42 gears and a stock torque converter then wonders why he can`t get it to idle, then afterwards wonders why it won`t burn a tire either. So he works on it and over time, gets it to where it runs halfway decent, he`s all rarin` to go at the dragstrip. He lines up beside a stock ford ranger thinking this is going to be a easy victim and gets his doors blown off, now he`s not only embarrassed but he can`t figure out where he went wrong. Then we have the stories that pass on from one person to another, like "it`s got pop up pistons" or "it`s got a positraction rearend" and "it`s a police interceptor" and "it`s a 350 Rocket" or "it`s a vette engine" which is likely the most popular. I try to tell one and all I give advice to on here the key is to match the combo with parts that work with one another, as that`s one of the key`s to max power. Lastly, I seen this one kid who had more money than sense, try and muscle his way into V8 circle track racing. He was at my machinists shop, getting shown how to build a small block for racing. I said to him "Don`t wear out a bunch of expensive parts when your just learning the ropes, get a bulletproof mule engine, learn to drive, learn to adjust the suspension and pick the right gears, then experiment with engine combo`s" he didn`t listen of course, after the first season he bailed, after blowing several engines plus wrecking the car several times, daddy pulled his funding. Live and learn.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

My unfavorite is "ported and polished"......AAAAARRRRGGG!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.