Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Help With Heads! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-heads-227932.html)

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 01:15 AM

Help With Heads!
 
Hey there, i need some help deciding on buying a set of heads over what i have now. I can get a set of 441s with a 3 angle valve job 1.94/1.50 screw in studs and guideplates for $200. I heard that these arent bad heads for what they are. Any help?? Would i notice a difference? Is it worth the swap?
My engine:
1980 350 stock bottom end.
882 heads
weaind stealth intake
edelbrock 1405 carb
lunati 442/465 lift cam
msd dist.
1/58 flowtech headers into flowmasters
Thanks any advice is appreciated.

vinniekq2 01-04-2013 08:50 AM

your engine has a mild combination.I would start all over when the engine needs freshening

cobalt327 01-04-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvasquez_81 (Post 1630404)
Hey there, i need some help deciding on buying a set of heads over what i have now. I can get a set of 441s with a 3 angle valve job 1.94/1.50 screw in studs and guideplates for $200. I heard that these arent bad heads for what they are. Any help?? Would i notice a difference? Is it worth the swap?
My engine:
1980 350 stock bottom end.
882 heads
weaind stealth intake
edelbrock 1405 carb
lunati 442/465 lift cam
msd dist.
1/58 flowtech headers into flowmasters
Thanks any advice is appreciated.

The 441's are a better casting but still have the big smog chambers and small intake port volume. You would notice a change only if your current heads are worn out. Otherwise it's more of a sideways move than an upward move.

You would feel a difference by swapping to a set of production L31 Vortec heads. Takes a different intake, rockers, and center bolt valve covers though.

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 03:19 PM

I just found out that a relative of mine has 462 heads. He said that they came off a running engine and that he was gonna use them but didnt have time. and $150 bucks you cant beat. I know that because of the 64cc it will boost my compression the only thing that im having trouble with is finding brackets for my alternator and power steering? Any advice?

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 03:28 PM

i heard that you run into the risk of ruining them. Just something about drilling the heads seems not right to me.

RWENUTS 01-04-2013 03:33 PM

THis guy can set you up with brackets.
Chevrolet Steel Mounting Brackets

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 03:36 PM

You read my mind!

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 06:11 PM

Another question guys. im not sure if the 462 heads have hardened valves? is it absolutely necessary to run hardened valves? or can i get away with adding a lead additive every once in a while? while it do anything to my engine? thanks

gvasquez_81 01-04-2013 11:20 PM

Does any one know what the max lift was on the 462's? Just curious about some info on them?

vinniekq2 01-04-2013 11:33 PM

just over 200 CFM at .6

cobalt327 01-04-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvasquez_81 (Post 1630590)
i heard that you run into the risk of ruining them. Just something about drilling the heads seems not right to me.

"...something about drilling the heads seems not right to me". Because it's not right to drill them.The problem isn't so much that you may hit water- you WILL hit water. But the casting isn't thick enough to always support the load the brackets put on them, and the head surfaces aren't always flat so alignment can be off. People have done this and gotten away w/it- but there are a lot who regretted not doing it the right way from the get-go.

The easiest/cheapest way around this is to swap over to the ('68-back) short water pump set up. The only snafu is the A/C compressor used back then was the big old A4 type. If headers are used there are different brackets from the aftermarket that need to be used for the alternator, but these are cheap. Custom brackets that don't require the head accessory holes will also work, but are expensive and I personally do not care for their looks. If custom brackets were the only option, Vortec heads are looking more affordable, besides making more HP than any of the other heads you've mentioned.

gvasquez_81 01-05-2013 12:57 AM

vortec heads would be ideal. thats all i hear about. to be honest i was considering it. i just didnt feel like spending another $150 for valve cover adapters considering i just got new valve covers, and buying a new intake. I figured choosing the camel backs would be the best option other than vortecs and aftermarket heads, after all this is just a street cruiser.

And not be confused i was wondering the max lift on the cam with the camel backs? any clearance issues?

gvasquez_81 01-05-2013 01:31 AM

How am i able to check?

cdminter59 01-05-2013 07:31 AM

Help With Heads!
 
You take a head off. Then take some modeling clay about 1/4" thick place on top of the pistons. Reassembly the head and adjust the valves. Turn the engine over a couple of revolutions. Remove the head and measure the thickness of the clay where the imprint of the valve is. Clearance should be .080 intake, .100 on exhaust.

cdminter59 01-05-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvasquez_81 (Post 1630582)
I just found out that a relative of mine has 462 heads. He said that they came off a running engine and that he was gonna use them but didnt have time. and $150 bucks you cant beat. I know that because of the 64cc it will boost my compression the only thing that im having trouble with is finding brackets for my alternator and power steering? Any advice?

What is the complete casting number number. I found 3782462 327 1967 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6. 3890462 62-68 302/327/350 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6. 3891462 62-67 302/327/350 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6. 3767462 327 62-67 1.72/1.5. 3814462 350 67 1.94/1.5


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.