Help with Holley I.D.? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with Holley I.D.?

My son just picked up a Holley with numbers:
12R-10554B .. And:

R84010-2 .. And:

0454 .

Can anyone tell me what this is? I cant seem to locate these numbers anywhere. I haven't seen it yet, but he tells me the top comes off like an Ede.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 AM
holley guru

according to my list (complete holly carb listing from holley) its a 600 cfm 4010 model. the number for the rebuild kit is 37-1541. i actually have one of these carbs. i cant remember the number but its really light weight right? i'm not sure how strong they are as i've never had mine on anything, but i know yours is a 600 so i wouldn't expect it to be really strong on an engine much over 300 ci. not saying it's not going to be strong, but a 750 vac secondary would probably make it look bad. but i am partial to the 750s. sorry i'm blabing. hope that info helped you
Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_am
i know yours is a 600 so i wouldn't expect it to be really strong on an engine much over 300 ci. not saying it's not going to be strong, but a 750 vac secondary would probably make it look bad.
Since almost all Holley 4 bbls, with the exception of the Dominator look the same externally....how does a 750 make it LOOK bad? Other than float bowls and some 600s have dual feed bowls, it will LOOK just the same.
If the top comes off, I don't have the numbers handy, it sounds like it may be the limited run Holley made a few years back that is an upgraded Autolite design. They corrected the main Autolite issue, which was limited CFM, but were only produced for a short period.Both sizes look the same. IF it's one of those, they are pretty nice carbs, but apparently orphaned by Holley to focus on their mainstay. Since it has a removable top it's not your typical Holley, they have removable float bowls on each end. Post a pic if you can.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
holley guru

why did you ask a question and then answer it immediately? the center hung cathedral floats bowls look better than the side mount. i only said 750 vac as a suggestion to this guy due to the flexibility of application. and trust me his carb looks nothing like a 4150/4160 externally or internally. and your telling me that a tried and true Holley 4150 750 vac is not going to out-perform a limited run remake 600 under almost any situation?

p.s. i meant look bad as in it's going to out perform it. duh

Last edited by one_am; 09-19-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 AM

what carb is a 6122-2 or so. it's a 2bbl
Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_am
why did you ask a question and then answer it immediately? the center hung cathedral floats bowls look better than the side mount. i only said 750 vac as a suggestion to this guy due to the flexibility of application. and trust me his carb looks nothing like a 4150/4160 externally or internally. and your telling me that a tried and true Holley 4150 750 vac is not going to out-perform a limited run remake 600 under almost any situation?

p.s. i meant look bad as in it's going to out perform it. duh
There are 2 presumptions you are operating under that discount your sig line as "holley guru". The first is that all 600s come without center hung bowls, that is incorrect. The second is that a 750 will out perform any 600, also incorrect...especially since he didn't mention any engine size. In most cases a 600 will out perform a 750 on 302 size engines or smaller. I use the term "out perform" to describe the total driveablity and not just flat out acceleration. Unless the small engine is built to run just at higher rpms the 600 is a far better choice. I am aware of the look of the now non produced Holley with a removable top, if you reread my post I described it as an Autolite clone(4100),if you look at a 4100 Autolite you will see the similarities.
So in conclusion, mr. guru, I will say that a 750 WON'T always out perform a 600 "under almost any situation". Your comments are a one size fits all mentality that doesn't apply in the real world ...sorry. I am about to remove my 750 from my Cobra and install a 600 that I have set up, because under most conditions the 750 is TOO big. Low speed roll-on is flat unless you down shift and that's with a 6 speed gearbox. I know that the 600 will be more than enough to feed the 351W in the type driving it sees.Maybe I won't have a 180+ top end after that, it might only be 179...big deal. If I decide to run at Bonneville next year, I'll drive it out there with the 600 and install the 750 and see head to head. But on the street I'll take the 600 any day.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Lookin' like a bad deal...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stupid thread warning sign2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	32590  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.