Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - help...homemade powder coat oven
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have built my own powdercoat ovens for years. I even took some of my ideas and put them on a dvd I sold on ebay. In the dvd I showed how you could build a 3' wide by 4' tall by 6' long oven for under 500.00. I sold a bunch of the dvd's for 29.95. Then I noticed several guys using my design and building and selling them on ebay. So rather than fight it I just let it drop. So I will tell you all what I do. First I build a perimeter frame from 1" sq. tubing and build 2-1/2 doors and hinges to mount them on either side. of one end. I build runners to fill in the gaps from 1/2" sq. tubing almost like you would build a wall in a house. Except that I put them flush with the outside. I paint everything with high temp exhaust paint to keep it from rusting. Then I use 3 sheets of 20 ga. sheet metal to line the inside. and I flange the ends with a roller but you can use a pair of flanging pliers or put it up against a edge and just beat it over to a 90 deg. flange about 1/2". I cut the pieces about 1/2" smaller than the inside for expansion. when I put the pieces in I seal the edges with furnace cement. and this will sound weird but I only use one screw per panel. I then wrap the whole thing with 1" thick ceramic wool insulation. I cover the outside with corragated sheet metal like you would use on a barn. I buy 3-220 volt heating elements for commercial ovens, I get them on ebay for the most part. When I am on ebay I look for a electric oven thermostat and a #1 magnetic motor starter. I mount these on the side of the box and place the heat sensor at the 3/4 from the bottom on the side about half way back from the front. I put a vent in at the top that is only a 1" hole but I mount a 3" roof flange with it centered right over the hole. I then use 3" double wall vent pipe to the out side. I don't use a fan but I do put a heat deflector over the heat elements that are mounted to the bottom. For this I use a piece of 1/8th inch steel and cut it so that it is a inch smaller than the bottom of the oven and mount it with stand off's so it's a 1" above the elements. I add some things for conveniance like doors that open with a step down lever and then spring back so your hands are free. I also built a T shaped track at the top center. And some small rollers with hooks so you can slide a part in thats hanging. I have also built a rack on wheels that has a track just like it that ties into the track on top of the oven and you can slide some large items in and out with out touching them. I wire the elements to the output side of the magnetic starter and then use the temp control to turn the elements on and off. I wire up a idiot light to tell me when the elements are on. So when the light goes out it is at temp. I also rig up a timer so that it will shut it off when it gets done. I have run these ovens for many years and it cost about twice what it costs to run a household oven. I have added some picts of a oven I built for a friend of mine just to put ceramic coating on exhaust's. He builds custom kit cars and has a walk in oven for parts coating. And I have a pict of a motorcycle frame too just to show that this works. I have looked long and hard for the DVD master that I made and cannot find it anywhere. But this is not hard to do and I would be more than willing to help someone out. I always thought this would be great for a club to share expenses. Thanks Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP00574.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	71422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP00575.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	71423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP00414.JPG
Views:	137