help a honky out! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 11:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

help a honky out!

Howdy! I have a 74 f-250 I'm turning into a street rod. I purchased a 97 ford mustang 4.6 motor and tranny complete with computer and harness to install at a later date, but now I'm focusing on the suspension. I want to lower my truck 3 inches in the front, and level the rear to match. I considered going with a mustang II front end, but my outside frame measurements are 34 inches and the mustang II factory front end is 28 on the car I looked at. Not to mention were the front end meets the frame, the mating point are on an angle. I want to keep this as simple as possible, but the only other option I have is to go with a DJM drop I-beam set for an f-100, which runs around 700 dollars plus. Does anyone know of another manufactorer that make drop beams for this style truck that are more affrodable? If anyone has any info. or better suggestions to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Naa, I won't even say what I was thinking. Anyhow the twin I beam is great for heavy duty use but as you noticed the pits when you try to play custom cruiser truck with it.
Doing a Google search on dropped twin I beam axles I came up with this link among others. they say that they can drop "your" axles up to 3 inches.
http://www.roadsters.com/axles/ I checked a link on (The H.A.M.B.) and I definetly would check with them on dropping the axles.
He shows his prices on the page.

Last edited by Chopt 48; 06-23-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

theres an outfit i believe called DJM and another i think AIM that make dropped i beams, the AIM if i recall correctly are a round tube design that isn't too stout....

or God forbid, in all seriousness, you could swap the twin i beams for a chevy truck front end and go with good dropped spindles..... it's been done.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkylips
Does anyone know of another manufactorer that make drop beams for this style truck that are more affrodable? If anyone has any info. or better suggestions to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here is what I said on the 18th when I answered your question in the one of the other threads you started.(this is the third thread you have started with the same question)

Quote:
I have a friend who put a set of djm dropped axles on his 67 f100. He said there was another company but the quality was not as good as the djm.
this is them:
http://www.truckn-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1855
Scroll down the page a little to see them.
My buddy said he saw those on a truck and was not impressed. They are cheaper though.
Hope this helps.
Mikey
Did you lose that thread?
If you click on that link it will bring you right to the AIM axles.

There was a third company called western chassis that made them but they went out of business.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 06-23-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.