Help! How do I go about this? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A woman and an old car!

Well hats off to you good lady!
First off, I say the same to my wife, take someone with you who actually has experience in welding inspections. The car might look real great on the top side, but one can never know the true reality of a ride with out looking at the under carriage. If the owner is honest, they would not mind you looking up under the skirts. Have your man check for cracks at the suspension welds and possible fatigue on the main supports. Check to see if the bushings are all worn or if they have been taken care of and greased on a regular maintenance schedule. Check the shock plates and the coil pads for excessive ware. Bushings are always an indication of how the old beast has been treated over the years. Check for any type of oils leaks on the underside of the engine, transmission, oil coolers, transmission coolers, rear end, break cylinders, rear wheel bearing seals. These are all indications of proper care or just the neglect that has been put aside from just driving the machine. Does the owner have broke down schedule on his regular maintenance routine? These are the key points most buyers never really look at while buying someone else's prize or lemon. Good luck and best wishes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Guys,

Would she be better considering one of these companies that will build the car for her to her specs? At least she would know what she has to start out with.

I guess a lot matters if you want origional metal or a kit.

You start considering that type of money for someone else's handy work, I would at least pay a knowledgeable appraiser a fee to look it over. Lots of money here...
I have talked to some local hotrod shops that build the 32 roadster, a steel body one with paint, interior and a top will be about 44K.

I do like the idea of having a brand new rod, built to my specs and knowing that if something is not done right on it they would have to make it right for me.

However, I am really wanting a rod with the original Henry Ford body. Something about knowing the car is REAL, as opposed to a repro (which are a dime a dozen in my town)...

I can't afford an original Henry Ford body Deuce, they are too rare and in demand therefore pricey ($75,000 and up)... So I am strting to think that I may have to "settle" for either a 31 roadster or a 33 or 34 coupe, these I can afford with the original HF body. .

I guess the jury is still out on above.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

KULTULZ has a very good idea! Ask the seller if they would mind if you have an appraiser look the car over once you've seen it and decide you might like it. Most won't mind as long as you pay the fee and the appraiser is fine with a check ride. I wouldn't let anyone drive my car at first either, not unless they drove up in something similar anyway. Then I MIGHT after taking them for a ride, and talking a bit. An appraisal will cost you $100-$200, but if it keeps you from buying someone else's headache it will be worth it. Make sure you get an appraiser familiar with rods though. Some owners might be offended. If they are tell them you're giving someone a lot of money and aren't very knowledgeable of mechanics yourself. If they still don't like it, politely tell them you might be back, but you're going to look around some more first. They'll get the hint that you're serious. And an appraisal isn't the last word. If it's lower than what they are asking, you do have a little bargaining power, but you may have to give more. The appraisal is what others are getting for similar rides though, consider it an average. The appraiser should ask the seller what they are asking and what they have in it. I do some appraisals on rods myself.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

I'm back! Sorry I have been consummed with my search, research and looking at and test driving rods the past 10 days.

After the initial weirdness, I have been on a great roll, with 100% of sellers being very nice to me, taking me on drives and letting me drive their rods without me ever having to ask! I think all were delighted to meet a woman who was serious about rods. yes, I have learned so much in merely 8 weeks that I now really sound like I know what I am talking about (sorta! )

One seller took me on a one hour drive at sunset on Mullholland drive and other treturous canyon roads. He had a lead foot. Needeless to say I thought him, the roadster and me were going to end up going off a cliff LOL but to my surprise we returned in one piece. The upside: Breathtaking views of a golden sunset over the mountains and valleys.

You have not seen a California sunset until you've seen it from mulholland drive in a 32 roadster!

I AM SOLD.

No, I didn't buy that rod he wanted wayyyyyyyy too much for it and the rod felt like it was ready to fall into pieces while riding (yikes!). It was real fast though. The guy took a sharp left turn and hit the gas, my passenger door flew open as he took the turn. the rod did not have seat belts, well, wasn't that FUN? I am lucky I was not thrown out of the car.

Now before going on a test drive I ask the seller to go SLOW hehe. Oh, and I got life insurance too.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

In this hobby...

When you sell a car/truck/rod you will get more tire kickers than serious buyers. As a general rule the guy who starts out pointing out to the buyer ever flaw they find don't buy anything and waste your time. For example right know I have and Elky for sale, this guy sits in the truck and starts telling me that the mileage is to high...I opened the door and told him to get his butt out of my truck an stop wasting my time. I have no time to waste on tire kickers!!

Tazz
Old 08-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higirl

You have not seen a California sunset until you've seen it from mulholland drive in a 32 roadster!

I AM SOLD.
Or driving up Malibu in a 32 Roadster ...

My wife and I always do that when we are out there for the LA Roadsters show ...

This may come as a surprise ... coming from ME ... but I would suggest NOT getting all caught up in the original Ford body deal ... The good quality Wescotts and a few others bodies are just as much fun ... and are easier on the pocketbook.

The reduced price value of a Wescott roadster body will allow you to buy a higher quality build for your price range ... to bad you do not fly ... lots of Deuce were up for your consideration at the Nationals in KY.

Deuce ...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.