Help:How to make windshield defrost vents? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help:How to make windshield defrost vents?

Any suggestions for making windshield defrost vents on a 30's style flat dash that had nothing when made? This is on a 35 Chevy Standard, but I think Fords would be the same.It is easy enough to add an extension to the bottom to put mid level vents in, but what can be done to get upper vents in that look and work nice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

I used some vent ends from an old Ford truck. Early fifties. They look like a stepped on funnel.

I slotted the top of the dash under the windshield, driver and pass side and mounted the funnels to the underside. A little fabrication. Construction adhesive. Then used the black cloth over wire tubing to connect to a late forties heater.

Gotta have defrost vents if ya wanna play in Michigan cold weather!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:18 PM
WOW, I could have had a V8!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Gotta have defrost vents if ya wanna play in Michigan cold weather!!!
Amen!!!

Jon
http://1972vega.wordpress.com/
Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't know how much help this will be but it might give you some ideas. The full description can be found in my journal here.

These are the stepped on funnels Bob mentioned. I got them with my heater/AC kit but my guess is you can buy them separately at Vintage or any of the other AC kit sites.

I cut slots in the top of the dash (sounds a little like yours).

As you can see in this pic, there is enough "flange" area so you can either epoxy the funnel in position under your slots or as I did, drill holes in the flange and then tack weld a couple small bolts to the underside of the dash. (That would cause problems if your dash is already painted and you don't want to burn it.)

Hope that helps a little.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Oops, just found these pics as well. They show a bit more of how the dash top and defroster vents look going into place.

And with the front plate of the dash in place. Note here that I am using those defroster slots as a good spot to keep everything clamped together as I am fabricating.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Cboy is the piece you cut the slots in, a spacer you have added to the origional dash to "move" it away from the winshield to allow space for the air deflectors?As my dash sits, it doesn't allow room for deflector vents unless I did move it back a bit.I have some of those Vintage air one's kicking around, as well as some metal one's such as Bob was mentioning.Up here in Manitoba we get some cold weather to.Actually to pass safety it has to have a working window defroster. Jim
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
Cboy is the piece you cut the slots in, a spacer you have added to the origional dash to "move" it away from the winshield to allow space for the air deflectors?
Well, there is no "original" dash...the car body, including everything in the interior, is totally hand fabricated. But to clarify, that piece you are looking at with the slots in it is the entire top of the dash, so there isn't a whole lot of room to mount those plastic vents. And if your dash top is even narrower than mine, I can see your dilemma. And I imagine to get up into that space to mount things or to work would be a real challenge.

Can you get any good pictures of what you are working with? Maybe that would stimulate some others to chime in with ideas. Right now I'm thinking you might have to fabricate your own narrower "funnels" to get the air up there. Or try to find a narrow plastic box of some kind that you could seal up and then cut holes at the top and bottom for your air-in and air-out. But that's just thinking out loud.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Been following your project journals.Wasn't thinking when I asked if you moved the "origional" dash back. In my case the dash is screwed to a wood support running horizontally below the windshield, and the top edge of the dash does not stick back much more than the thickness of the windshield garnish.I think that I will have to space it back with a piece like you did and fab. up some very narrow "funnels". Jim.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Just another thought, without the benefit of seeing first hand what you are dealing with, you could consider something that might look like a scoop that come out from the vertical portion of the dash and then curves 90 degrees up so it is aimed at the windshield. This might take some real thinking to make it look "right" but it might be easier than spacing your whole dash out another couple inches. Many dash board styles have curves and humps in them. Maybe you could design a curve on each side of the dash that would bulge into the cockpit enough to accomodate the defrost slots. If you are comfortable working with fiberglass, this might be an interesting approach.

Another possibility would be a small door or flap on each side of the dash that would open from the top and thus form a natural air dam to deflect the air up onto the windshield.

Or it you had the space within that windshield garnish area, could you just drill a series of small holes and then run plastic tubing (like 1/2" or less) that would come out of a feed box. The feed box would be hooked to you heater's defrost outlet and than four or five plastic hoses would direct the air from the feed box to each side of the windshield. I think you could figure out the volume of air that can pass through one of those flattened funnels and then try to get close to that with the total volume of the plastic tubing.

Again, I'm just kicking around ideas here. Sometimes it helps the thinking process just to have somebody lobbing off-the-cuff stuff at you to get those creative juices flowing.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 AM

More good ideas.I think I will try moving the dash back, put two slots in the extension and maybe fab up a metal airbox and attach to the extension before reattaching the dash. Not sure how far back the dash can be moved without creating more issues.I don't have pics and haven't started working on that part yet.I knew this was going to take some creativity, so started to search for ideas ahead of time. Thanks Jim.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I think I will try moving the dash back...
Let us know what you come up with when you get to that part.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Jim,

I had the camera out in the shop today so I snapped a couple more pictures for you of the defroster slots. Might help you visualize the spacer you build for your setup.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

Your wifes vacuum cleaner will have 2 V shaped attahments, steal them to use as defrost vents,use the wider one for the drivers side and the narrow one for the passenger side and never confess to the thieft. The pipe is about 2''.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.