Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Help with HP (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-hp-231057.html)

bygddy 03-22-2013 07:36 PM

Help with HP
 
So my heads should be here late next week, and i know et is all that matters, but would really appreciate some input, guesses on HP just so I can get an idea what to expect.?
So here's what it is.
355 SBC
0 decked, 4vr flat tops. 6cc dish
64 CC Profiler 195 heads.
.200/156.2
300/216.6
400/262.8
500/277.3
600/282.5
700/284.7
800/285.2
Comp 268h
218/218
484/484 lift using comp 1.6,roller rocker
10.3 compression
Rpm intake
750dp
1" 4 hole Carb spacer
Hei dist
Mid length headers to 2.5y pipe, to single mandrel 3" to the back to single bullet muffler
Yes I know long tubes are better, car is low, and roads suck here, and not going down that route again. So these will stay.
So that's what it is. Opinions? Thoughts?
Good or bad.
thanks
Dave

S10 Racer 03-22-2013 10:02 PM

Is this a daily driver too? I doubt it will be pump gas friendly with that compression unless you plan on running 93 octane. If it will be mostly for racing, I would change to a 2vr FT piston for more compression. It just depends on what it will be mostly used for. As far as HP, I would guess 325 - 350 with that setup but I may be on the low side. As far as ET, that's only part of it, your 60' time is tied to your ET also and the lower, the better.

bygddy 03-22-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer (Post 1659509)
Is this a daily driver too? I doubt it will be pump gas friendly with that compression unless you plan on running 93 octane. If it will be mostly for racing, I would change to a 2vr FT piston for more compression. It just depends on what it will be mostly used for. As far as HP, I would guess 325 - 350 with that setup but I may be on the low side. As far as ET, that's only part of it, your 60' time is tied to your ET also and the lower, the better.

.039 quench, and a steady diet of 94 octane, and under 10.5 comp with alum heads doesn't really concern me. Jeeze I hope your numbers are low lol......not a daily no, but rarely a race car. Will see some track days, both road course and strip. Mostly just a nice day, or fri-sat night toy.
Thanks for the input :)
Dave

1Gary 03-23-2013 04:47 AM

Dave.My question is while your in there,why not a cam swap that you think is too small anyways??.Your waiting for the heads so in the mean time maybe you could come up with the money for a cam and kit.

I do agree totally with you on a 10.3 SCR being no problem with those heads.Sounds like the potential of a real good smart build driver.

Wanted to say with us nothing gets put on anything out of the box without being totally checked out.That doesn't matter who's brand name it is.

F-BIRD'88 03-23-2013 05:37 AM

I just sold a full custom 3.5" single exhaust system for that car.

bygddy 03-23-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Gary (Post 1659546)
Dave.My question is while your in there,why not a cam swap that you think is too small anyways??.Your waiting for the heads so in the mean time maybe you could come up with the money for a cam and kit.

I do agree totally with you on a 10.3 SCR being no problem with those heads.Sounds like the potential of a real good smart build driver.

Wanted to say with us nothing gets put on anything out of the box without being totally checked out.That doesn't matter who's brand name it is.

That was my original intention actually, but with more cam comes more converter comes more gear and so on and so on lol....
So I'm trying to "use my head" for a change and not turn it into a bigger project then it needs to be, which is a huge undertaking for me lol. Everything on the car is new from motor to trans to rear, I was hoping to see 375-400hp with the head, intake and Carb swap. IF...and its a big IF, I'm in that ball park then i will run it this summer and be happy.......the car isn't as heavy as most of the ones I drive, this one's actually been on a scale and comes in at 3270# without my giant *** in it. So 400hp, an overdrive, and big sticky tires and an actual suspension I can turn corners with sounds like lots of fun.

bygddy 03-23-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1659551)
I just sold a full custom 3.5" single exhaust system for that car.

At my power level is there a noticeable power difference from 3" to 3.5" ....local guy here has one for sale as well for 175$ but I didn't think it was worth it for minimal if any gains.
HP guesses?

1Gary 03-23-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bygddy (Post 1659554)
That was my original intention actually, but with more cam comes more converter comes more gear and so on and so on lol....
So I'm trying to "use my head" for a change and not turn it into a bigger project then it needs to be, which is a huge undertaking for me lol. Everything on the car is new from motor to trans to rear, I was hoping to see 375-400hp with the head, intake and Carb swap. IF...and its a big IF, I'm in that ball park then i will run it this summer and be happy.......the car isn't as heavy as most of the ones I drive, this one's actually been on a scale and comes in at 3270# without my giant *** in it. So 400hp, an overdrive, and big sticky tires and an actual suspension I can turn corners with sounds like lots of fun.

I understand totally how a project can grow and you don't have a money tree to pluck in your backyard.You have seen all of us going on about matched parts builds and the reasons why that is.I wasn't talking about drive-ability or performance issues with a cam swap.Just one or two steps above what you have now still using your head so you could use what you have for the rest like the T/C.As you know with a good tune on it that in it's self will change the flash on the T/C you have based on the engine's output.

Worst case is another 400 to 500 bucks total for a different cam/kit without "shopping" it at all.But still kind of keeping it kind of conservative using your head as you have so far.:thumbup:

You have gone this far.........so to do that would kind of close the deal.

F-BIRD'88 03-23-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bygddy (Post 1659556)
At my power level is there a noticeable power difference from 3" to 3.5" ....local guy here has one for sale as well for 175$ but I didn't think it was worth it for minimal if any gains.
HP guesses?

The biggest issue is the Y pipe.

You can improve that a lot by custom fabrication.
flowmaster Y250300

2.5" to 3" merge Y collector
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-y250300_m.jpg

The cam is fine. Might want to move it to a true "straight up" position
for best results with the shorty headers and single pipe exhaust.

A 1/4mile run MPH will tell you how much power it is makeing

what ever it is you can work it.

bygddy 03-23-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1659566)
The biggest issue is the Y pipe.

You can improve that a lot by custom fabrication.
flowmaster Y250300

2.5" to 3" merge Y collector
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-y250300_m.jpg

The cam is fine. Might want to move it to a true "straight up" position
for best results with the shorty headers and single pipe exhaust.

A 1/4mile run MPH will tell you how much power it is makeing

what ever it is you can work it.

I will have to get you some pics of my Y, it is custom bent, no converter, with a cut out welded in.

bygddy 03-23-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Gary (Post 1659564)
I understand totally how a project can grow and you don't have a money tree to pluck in your backyard.You have seen all of us going on about matched parts builds and the reasons why that is.I wasn't talking about drive-ability or performance issues with a cam swap.Just one or two steps above what you have now still using your head so you could use what you have for the rest like the T/C.As you know with a good tune on it that in it's self will change the flash on the T/C you have based on the engine's output.

Worst case is another 400 to 500 bucks total for a different cam/kit without "shopping" it at all.But still kind of keeping it kind of conservative using your head as you have so far.:thumbup:

You have gone this far.........so to do that would kind of close the deal.

I actually had the same thought, was looking at a 272-280ish cam, which is likely as far as I would go with 2200 - 2300 stall, but to spend the money, and then likely want more next summer anyways, seemed counter productive.....I figured the "responsible" thing to do was drive it with this combo for the summer, and if its not enough, then i would likely go to TH350, 3500 stall, 411's and a big solid next summer. Right now the car is set up to turn corners, big bars, good shocks and springs, 17" sticky tires, but it hasn't got a prayer of hooking up even with the power it has now. I haven't ever had something that actually turns corners worth a damn, so i may like it lol. That and lets be honest, I have a bad habit of getting bored and moving on to something else. So I will see how it feels this year, and if i love the car, and wanna go fast straight, then I will look at cam and converter etc next winter.
Like I said, I'm really hoping to be in the 400hp ball park this summer and see how that feels. :)

bygddy 03-24-2013 09:11 AM

Really? Nobody has DD anymore? Lol. :(

F-BIRD'88 03-24-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bygddy (Post 1659886)
Really? Nobody has DD anymore? Lol. :(

What...you don't already have all these simulation programs?

Won't tell you what really matters anyway.
But a drag strip will.

bygddy 03-24-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1659916)
What...you don't already have all these simulation programs?

Won't tell you what really matters anyway.
But a drag strip will.

Tried to download but my tablet takes a sht whenever I try.....and I'm still a month away from the track due to the retarted amount of snow we got this year.

bygddy 03-31-2013 03:58 PM

Bump as i see Richard is back ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.