Hot Rod Forum banner

Help I.D.'ing this distributor please!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
This is a 350- Chevy distributor, there are no markings on this other than "k 9"
The cap is a small, regular points type of distributor, external coil, there's a few pics attached. I think I need a new module but can fiind nothing that matches up. I've looked at Pertronix flamethrowers, it seems to be close. The wires disappear under and go out the bottom. Red, Orange and black wires.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an MSD mag pickup unit that is missing its sticker, I dont know if the part number is stamped on them anywhere. Takes a MSD CD box to make it work, you can wire the pickup to a GM 4-pin module if you prefer, takes some custom wiring and a heat sink mount for the module.

#3 ·
I've been running this distributor for about 7 years, it is pooping out on me. I don't have an MSD box anywhere, could it be a Pertronix or an off brand?

#4 ·
#5 ·
sure looks like a MSD
but no numbers or stickers???

that's a magnetic pickup type,
check the clearance on the pickup??
looks like it could be a marine type with the 3wire plug and weather pack connector..

lookie here
MSD Replacement Ignition Module Assemblies ASY14548 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

that's the Ignition Module Assembly for the MSD 83606
MSD Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run Marine Distributors 83606 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing[/QUOTE

That's it! Thank you so much. This looks to me like it is going to be a PITA to replace. ( the top link) I have the distributor out, the 2 nuts holding the module just spin, plus the wires need to be routed through the dist. I will check it out this coming weekend. At a second glance, I will get the assembly, maybe not such a pain. And...I have a Summit gift cert from my future son in law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.