Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Help ID this GM rear end in my '57 Chevy 3100 truck... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-id-gm-rear-end-my-57-chevy-3100-truck-226990.html)

Barsteel 12-09-2012 02:03 PM

Help ID this GM rear end in my '57 Chevy 3100 truck...

4 Attachment(s)
Hello!

This is my first post, so Hello! from Monroe, CT.

Here's why I'm posting...

This summer, a '57 Chevy 3100 pickup followed me home. It's an older resto that's been worked a bit...400sbc, turbo 400, and a posi rear end. The work appears to be solid and well done.

Anyway, when I bought the truck, the brake pedal sank to the floor, so I pulled apart the brakes, and found that I need an old fashioned brake job, along with a wheel cyl on the pass side. The previous owner (PO), left out all of the self adjusting AND the e-brake hardware, including the strut arm, and I want an E-brake, so I have to find the parts. Here's where it gets interesting, and the reason for my post...

I CANNOT positively ID the rear end, and I have to in order to get the proper brake parts. Here's what I've got...

It's a 10 bolt posi GM rear with 2.73 rear end gears.

Posi clutch is 2 plates between the spider gears held apart by 4 springs

Part # on the gear is 3984825 41 15 (tooth count). There is NO mfg date

Ring gear bolt heads are 3/4"

Carrier # is 32267

Numbers stamped on the front of the pass side axle tube are: NT K 084E

Bolt pattern is 5 x 5

Brakes are 11" x 2"

Wheel cyl has 29471 cast into it

This was a coil spring/trailing arm rear end - top of rear has trailing arm lugs cast into it, and I can see where the bottom mounts were cut off
The driveshaft has 2 u-joint mounted in a coupling at the rear end side

I've been digging for hours, along with posting on the HAMB, and from what I can find, the rear might be from a 71 - 76 GM full size, specifically a full size Pontiac.

Can anyone ID this rear end for me?

Last question - anyone know a vendor who sells GM e-brake strut levers?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

big gear head 12-09-2012 05:11 PM

Looks like a GM corporate 8.5 from a full size GM car. IF the posi has 4 springs then it's an after market Eaton that someone has installed.

Barsteel 12-09-2012 05:30 PM

Searched for images for an 8.5" GM corporate rear, and it does have the lugs at the lower corners like an 8.5. I'll check the pinion nut size tomorrow...if it's 1 1/4", that will ID it as an 8.5, at least according to what I've found online.

Anyway to date it?

What cars would have this rear end come in? I ordered brake shoes from a '76 Impala, and they matched what's in there now, but I don't know if there's any different between Chevy brakes and Buick/Olds/Pontiac brakes.

Thanks...

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1620992)
Looks like a GM corporate 8.5 from a full size GM car. IF the posi has 4 springs then it's an after market Eaton that someone has installed.

SSedan64 12-09-2012 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Should be a Casting # and Date code on the Webs where Center joins Axle tubes.
Also a stamped code on the right axle tube.

Trophyman 12-19-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64 (Post 1621087)
Should be a Casting # and Date code on the Webs where Center joins Axle tubes.
Also a stamped code on the right axle tube.

What he said. :cool: