Help on id ing the hood of my car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help on id ing the hood of my car

Well i'v been working on my car for some time now .. and have just noticed i have never seen a hood like mine. The car is a 70 cougar coupe 351 Cleavland. What makes the hood different is that it has a kind of .. beak on the front of it, right in the middle that caries down into the middle of the front grill / lights . With out the "beak" on this particular hood there would be a space in the middle of the grill. Also i've noticed that some of these cars have horizontal bars on the grills and others have vertical bars on the grills. My car has vertical bars.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
I thought I could remember what that hood was called and I just can't. Years ago I did a number of Cougars for a collector and he had a few. It was a special edition named after a big racing name of the day as I remember.

Mickey Thompson or something like that. As I remember the mirrors were different as well. They were painted body color.

Have you checked out any Cougar Forums?

If you like these cars, you and my old customer would get along, he had about 60 cars, most being Cougars. He had four Eliminators, one with each motor available, Boss302, 351C,390 and 428. The 390 one was one of the fastest cars I ever drove, it was pretty memorable.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

here An XR7, perhaps. A fancier version, a bit plusher than stock. Dan
Old 02-22-2005, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

The name of the race car driver was Dan Gurney. The model would be an RX7-G the G is for Gurney.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Thanks Martinsr and Dinger, for the quick response. Yess dinger thats the exact car, only its not a vert. But that doesn't matter. Umm well i for some reason i don't think its an XR7 cause there's a badge (xr7) that is supposed to go on the trunk lid, it slides to the side for access to the trunk lock. I don't think its for this car because there's no mounting holes and no signs that the holes have been patched over.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

OH sweet .. so Evltwin.. tell me what does this xr7-g .. well like what kinds of options does it have that others don't. Like would there be things in the interior, and or in the engine or driveline.

thanks bill
Old 02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I hate to be the kill joy, but having owned several '70 Cougars (XR-7s and Eliminators) ALL the 1970 Cougars have what you describe as a beak. The Hood continues down into the grille and behind the center bumper contour. All the earlier('67-'69) ones stopped at the top edge of the grille. The only real difference between the XR-7 and the Eliminator were the XR-7 logo in the top of the vertical grille in the hoods beak and the Eliminator had blacked out grille teeth. They (1970s) all had vertical grille work. There was NO XR-7G in 1969 or 1970, that was a special edition '67/'68 model in tribute to Dan Gurney who raced them in the Trans Am series. So your hood is the same as all the other 1970s.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

haha well it was good while it lasted. I have currently installed the hood and all the rest of the front clip. Yesterday and today i drove it for the first time since i baught a shell and a basket of parts . WOW I LOVE THIS CAR, CLEAVLANDS, THREE INCH EXHAUST AND OH YA .. MY CAR!!

p.s.
thanks for clearin the hood issue up woodz428

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.