Help identify my balancer!! PICS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help identify my balancer!! PICS

Hey guys so I have been looking for an internally balanced harmonic balancer for my 383 SBC that has already been INTERNALLY BALANCED. A friend of mine gave me this one that he had no use for and said it came off of a 1977 350 block (forget what car it was). So I went to pick it up from him today and it looks to me to be an externally balanced dampner!! I always thought that all 350's were internally balanced!! Anyways I measured it and it is 8 inches in diameter and I took some pics as well so if anyone could help identify if I can use this balancer on my engine or not it would be very much appreciated. It also has 2 small drill holes on the outer shell (included in pics). Please help me, Keith.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4607.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4608.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4609.jpg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexypizzaman
Hey guys so I have been looking for an internally balanced harmonic balancer for my 383 SBC that has already been INTERNALLY BALANCED. A friend of mine gave me this one that he had no use for and said it came off of a 1977 350 block (forget what car it was). So I went to pick it up from him today and it looks to me to be an externally balanced dampner!! I always thought that all 350's were internally balanced!! Anyways I measured it and it is 8 inches in diameter and I took some pics as well so if anyone could help identify if I can use this balancer on my engine or not it would be very much appreciated. It also has 2 small drill holes on the outer shell (included in pics). Please help me, Keith.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4607.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4608.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4609.jpg
All 350 Chevys are internally balance. If there are no scallooped out area or any other oddity that would seem to make it out-of-balance, that is an internally balanced piece. The drill holes are from the factory getting it to within their tolerances.

tom
Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM

but does it matter that it is an 8" balancer opposed to the 6 and 3/4" or 7" balancer?? Wouldn't this balancer be heavier since it is 8 inches and wouldn't this make a big difference??
Old 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexypizzaman
but does it matter that it is an 8" balancer opposed to the 6 and 3/4" or 7" balancer?? Wouldn't this balancer be heavier since it is 8 inches and wouldn't this make a big difference??
It is a little more capable of absorbing torsional vibrations that a smaller one. But then again some think the larger balancer stores the energy from the vibrations and can actually increase the extent of the crank twisting.......

A smaller balancer takes less HP to spin up. But others claim a HP increase with a larger balancer.

Hard choice ain't it?

The quality of a balancer certainly makes a difference. Stay away from Professional Products balancers (unless you are a fan of hand grenades). Romac makes a good, mid-priced balancer, ATI is the top choice of many professionals.

tom
Old 02-17-2008, 06:38 PM

So it doesn't mean my engine needs to be rebalanced now does it?? I bought the assembly pre-balanced internally before it was shipped. They did not include the harmonic balancer nor flexplate so I am assuming I just use a neutral dampener and flexplate (off of a 350). Now that I know this will work for my application I will use it, there isn't anything wrong with the stock GM balancers is there??
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

The 8" 350 balancers were usually found on 4bolt main motors. It should work fine for your application if you don't plan on spinning it over 6500. Take a good look at the elastomer and make sure there's no cracks or swelling. Motor oil over time can make them swell and soften and age can make them crack like dry rotted tires. I agree-don't use a Professional Products dampner, we tried one on my Son's 327 and the ring came off on the first 7K powershift.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4611.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4612.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_4613.jpg

Here are some pics of the back of it. I was told that the 400 balancers have that recess found in the outer ring on the rear. Mine has that recess. Does this actually look like a 350 internal balancer 100% for sure?? That recess is making me wonder. Please help.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

That is without a doubt a neutral damper.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

That looks like a 305 balancer. It is for internally balanced engines, just lighter than a 350 balancer.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600
That looks like a 305 balancer. It is for internally balanced engines, just lighter than a 350 balancer.
I agree I thought the 350 balancer has a counter weight on the inside. This one does not.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.