Help Identifying an Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help Identifying an Engine

I have a 1981 Ski Supreme Boat with a Ford Engine in it. I was told by the original owner that it was a 351 Cleveland, but accoding to my broken distributor and camshaft, I'm beginning to think he was wrong.

I've removed the camshaft for replacement and noticed a stamp inside the manifold area on the block. The stamp says:

351 WCP-10

The valve covers have a 6 hole pattern. On the end of the camshaft it's stamped by FORD "518"

Any help much appreciated. It's getting very expensing buying random parts and breaking more crap.

Advertisement

Last edited by baddalaskan; 09-01-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

The block codes on Fords is located behind the starter you have to take it out to read it,then check with Ford parts dept to verify,Good luck I had to call a couple before I got a straight answer. Jeff B
Old 09-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddalaskan
I have a 1981 Ski Supreme Boat with a Ford Engine in it. I was told by the original owner that it was a 351 Cleveland, but accoding to my broken distributor and camshaft, I'm beginning to think he was wrong.

I've removed the camshaft for replacement and noticed a stamp inside the manifold area on the block. The stamp says:

351 WCP-10

The valve covers have a 6 hole pattern. On the end of the camshaft it's stamped by FORD "518"

Any help much appreciated. It's getting very expensing buying random parts and breaking more crap.
6 bolt valve covers means its a 351 Windsor. Different block, heads, crank than the Cleveland. Still a good motor, and easier to get parts for (they built a whole lot more of them).
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Thing about it... we first tried a windsor distributor and it wouldn't fit over the oil pump shaft. And the cleveland one tore up the camshaft. I'm starting to think it's neither.

I was gonna take the starter off today and try to get some numbers, but got sick last nite Hopefully I'll feel good enough to get out there later.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 PM

Engine

I have a 1970 chevrolet Impala and I don't know what size engine it have in it. I brought plugs for 350 but they were wrong. the plugs i have in there now match up with a 454 engine the numbers that is on the engine is 3965577 GM6 there are some other parts I have replace need to know so i can get the one for this engine.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

cam to dist gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddalaskan
Thing about it... we first tried a windsor distributor and it wouldn't fit over the oil pump shaft. And the cleveland one tore up the camshaft. I'm starting to think it's neither.

I was gonna take the starter off today and try to get some numbers, but got sick last nite Hopefully I'll feel good enough to get out there later.
if the winsor distributor would not fit over the oil pump drive you had a 302 distributor, 351 winsor distributor has a largeroilpump shaft than a 302 other wise they look same. the 351 clevland gear onthe cam is different than winsor302 351. cliff
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybaker
I have a 1970 chevrolet Impala and I don't know what size engine it have in it. I brought plugs for 350 but they were wrong. the plugs i have in there now match up with a 454 engine the numbers that is on the engine is 3965577 GM6 there are some other parts I have replace need to know so i can get the one for this engine.
Go to Mortec.com it's possible the heads were changed at one time and that me be the key to your problem.Mortec lists the block codes and the head codes both so you can ID year and model both.JeffB
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 PM

baddalaskan,

Boat engines are a mix of parts. I think you will find that the block is a 302 with a 351 camshaft in it. The firing order is from the 351 but the distributor from the 302. The heads are from the 351 and the intake is from the 302.

Good Luck
Scholman
Old 09-03-2006, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

engine id

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman
baddalaskan,

Boat engines are a mix of parts. I think you will find that the block is a 302 with a 351 camshaft in it. The firing order is from the 351 but the distributor from the 302. The heads are from the 351 and the intake is from the 302.

Good Luck
Scholman
most marine 302s used the fireing order as the 351 winser the heads are immaterial as 351winser will bolt on to a 302 with washers and 302 hardware, what is not interchangeable is the distributors as the oil pump drive on the 351w is larger in diameter. if the distributor that was replaced was for a 351clevland that would acount for the torup gear on the cam,but would go over the oilpump drive as they are the same od so from this i would think the engine is a 351W. the distrib.for 302w,it would not go down into place re the larger oil pump drive shaft so gear not meshed.nor oil pump drive.in canada never herd of a marine 351C
Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybaker
You shouldn't hijack somebody elses thread to ask a totally unrelated question. You'll get more, better responses by posting your own thread. You'll also avoid the confusion of people answering multiple questions from different people in the same thread.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
most marine 302s used the fireing order as the 351 winser the heads are immaterial as 351winser will bolt on to a 302 with washers and 302 hardware, what is not interchangeable is the distributors as the oil pump drive on the 351w is larger in diameter. if the distributor that was replaced was for a 351clevland that would acount for the torup gear on the cam,but would go over the oilpump drive as they are the same od so from this i would think the engine is a 351W. the distrib.for 302w,it would not go down into place re the larger oil pump drive shaft so gear not meshed.nor oil pump drive.in canada never herd of a marine 351C
I am not positive they don't exist, but in years of talking about, looking at, and building Ford engines I have never run across or heard about a marine 351C either.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 PM

We have many marinised clevos over here in Australia.

I'm assuming that you're talking Ford Factory Marine engines not existing???.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagtly
We have many marinised clevos over here in Australia.

I'm assuming that you're talking Ford Factory Marine engines not existing???.
Right, they were not shipped from the factory as marine engines. They could have easily been converted, all the marine parts are bolt on -- but the 351C was popular in cars in the day, and so they didn't offer them to the marine market.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.