Hot Rod Forum banner

Help IDing motor

858 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bondo 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1967 chevy truck short box four-wheel drive with a real strong motor, however the guy I got it from wasn't sure if the previous owner built a 383 or just a 350 rebuild for it. He was confused at first saying he thought for sure it was a stroker motor, but he said it was only a 355. Is this possible, or is a 355 just a bored out 350? The one thing I noticed was the balancer was not the same as those on the 350s I have. It was alot taller and skinnier.(Is that what a 400 balancer is closer to, because I believe you normally use a 400 balancer, correct?) I know I could probably check by taking the pan off, but I'd hate to touch anything on it for now until it may actually need work.

I'll have some pics posted soon just to show it off a little too :mwink:

#2 ·
Crazy Fast on Ice said:
I just bought a 1967 chevy truck short box four-wheel drive with a real strong motor, however the guy I got it from wasn't sure if the previous owner built a 383 or just a 350 rebuild for it. He was confused at first saying he thought for sure it was a stroker motor, but he said it was only a 355. Is this possible, or is a 355 just a bored out 350? The one thing I noticed was the balancer was not the same as those on the 350s I have. It was alot taller and skinnier.(Is that what a 400 balancer is closer to, because I believe you normally use a 400 balancer, correct?) I know I could probably check by taking the pan off, but I'd hate to touch anything on it for now until it may actually need work.

I'll have some pics posted soon just to show it off a little too :mwink:
A 355 is .030 inch over bore on a 350.

GM used several different damper diameters. If this is a stroker and it follows the GM plan of external balance, then the damper's outer ring will have a relieved area on the backside that is less than the total diameter. However, it is possible to build an internally balanced stroker which would have a uniform shape to the damper, but this isn't too common.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.