Hot Rod Forum banner

Help with improving 52 Chevy Wiper Linkage...

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
I'm installing an electric wiper motor in my pickup and I notice that the arm leading from the motor connects to the arm that actuates the wiper by a simple pressed-in pin.

Over the years this thing has really worn down and now has a lot of play. Also, I'm not sure how long it's going to hold up and getting to it is a nightmare.

Is there some kind of bushing or bearing system that I could replace this pin with that would create a snug, free moving link? I figure I can't be the first person to have this problem, but I wouldn't even know what to Google to find something like this.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I wouldn't use the original linkage even if it was rebuilt. From new they made a lot of clunking noise. Newport engineering makes full electric kits to replace them in the original position. Spendy but worth it. I've also used the Autoloc wiper kit...it's adjustable for sweep but takes making a mount for the motor. It;s quiet,too. Cable drive. I just put on in a 49 Chev truck...think the kit was about 200 bucks.

#3 ·
this is really GHETTO but you could drill out the holes, use a nut and bolt with big washers (1/4" fender washers) and with some locktite tighten to remove play, but still enuf to move freely, and cut the bolt off so as the threads are mashed and the nut won't come off. i'm not saying use a 1/4x20 bolt, something smaller, so as to weigh less, take up less space, not snag on anything, and so lineman's pliers could cut the bolt easily.

like i said, str8 out of the GHET TOE

I AM still in the stone age as i never changed my wiper set up. as i had my truck off the frame, it is something i wish i had done every time it rains. but thank god it never rains in nw washington.

#4 ·
If you can get the linkage out to work on it you should be able to fabricate a bushing and bolt system, maybe with a nylock nut on it?

I AM still in the stone age as i never changed my wiper set up. as i had my truck off the frame, it is something i wish i had done every time it rains. but thank god it never rains in nw washington
Bullhiem, you are joking right? I think I live about 150 miles northwest of you and it rains plenty. Or is Mt. Vermin in some kind of dry belt? Do you have cactus growing there? :D

#5 ·
No, Crown, i never kid:
SEATTLE WEATHER
Decreasing Rain & Lowering Snow Levels

by Rich Marriott

Updated today at 11:08 AM
The steady rain in the lowlands has diminished to off and on showers with decreasing winds this morning. Heavy rains continue in the mountains from about Stevens Pass southward. A large avalanche hit the highway at Stevens Pass around 4AM this morning and has left the pass closed indefinitely.

The last in the current series of weather disturbances will push the band of moisture on to the southeast of us later today allowing the rain in the mountains to diminish by late afternoon.

Flood warnings continue on 8 rivers: the Tolt, Snoqualmie, Snohomish, Skykomish, Stillaguamish, North Fork of the Stillaguamish, Green and Puyallup rivers. Major flooding is expected on the Snoqulamie and Snohomish rivers.

An Avalanche Warning remains in effect for the Cascades and Olympics through Thursday until temperatures begin to cool in the mountains. The NW Weather and Avalanche Center recommends staying away form avalanche terrain today.

Although computer models have been indicating we would dry out for a while on Friday, the new computer model runs indicate the another wave will move up the band of moisture late tonight or early on Friday lifting it northward back into the State early on Friday for more wet weather - though not as wet or as mild as what we have just experienced.

Snow levels on Friday should be between 3,500-4,500 feet and precipitation will not be as heavy in the mountains. An upper level weather disturbance should finally push the band south of us on Saturday with cooler showery air following allowing snow levels to drop to 2,500-3,000 feet on Saturday.

Sunday should be partly sunny as a ridge of high pressure moves through, however, there might be a chance of rain Sunday night.. Highs over the weekend should stay in the low to mid 50s with snow levels back down to 2,500ft.

Next week should see several much weaker fronts move through the northwest for a chance of rain off and on mixed in with occasional sunshine and highs mostly in the mid 50s - which is close to normal.

yeah, i'm in what's known as a "Rain Shadow". (i think what they mean by that is i'm standing under an umbrella) well, you're in BC, you know exactly what kind of weather we got. same as you 9x outta 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.