Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with Lowering
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-rod-ford
Thanks Xntrik.
I really just want the car dropped a little in the front. Being able to lower it up and down at will does not really concern me, as long as it rides good after I lower it and don't have any real problems w/ it bottoming out.

From what you mentioned, it seems like dropped spindles would work the best for me. I am definitely concerned about keeping the correct geomety and a good ride. I just wanna clost the gap between the fender well and the top of the tire.

The way the rear sits as of now is fine w/ me. I had the leaf springs reconditioned a while back. It rides and sits good as it is.

My budget isn't huge. I'm hoping I could do it for possibly under $500.

Thanks again for the help. If you or anyone else have anything to add I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dropped spindles are not inexpensive.

You can reasonably lower the car by cutting the front coils 1/2 or 1 full coil off the bottom end.

The center of the lower control arm pivot (bolt) to the center of the ball joint pivot should be level. If the car is no lower than that, it should drive ok and not be too bad bottoming out with cut springs.

Park it on level concrete and have a couple of fat buddies sit on the core support to lower the front. Look at the tires and the control arm. Is that good enough height? You decide.

I'd try that first. You are going to end up buying new front springs anyway, so might as well try to cut them.

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges