help making a fiberglass mold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help making a fiberglass mold

I have a 99 Camaro and I want to fill in the space between the car and the spoiler. I want to make a fiberglass mold, fiberglass it, remove it, cut a section from the top and screw the bottom of it down into the car. This, I believe, will be the best way to go.If I do not like it, I could this remove the screws and fill in the holes. This is not going to be easy, because of the curve in the rear of the car. Any ideas?Picture below is not my car, my spoiler is flater

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

I would wax the spoiler and the decklid or try to neatly cover them with wax paper, saranwrap, basically so glass and body filler won't stick to them. Then you can duct tape the space between with some carboard or cut out the shape between the two and fill with something somewhat solid. Then maybe two layers of glass mat and resin and finish off the shape needed with body filler and sanding. I think I'd add at least a flange on the bottom for more area for it to attach to the decklid, or make a peice for front and back and then make one of the decklid shape for the bottom(after removing your front and back pieces you made and the spoiler) between the two and attach them neatly together with more glass, so the mold looks sort of like a u, with the curve of the spoiler at the tops of the two sides. Once you get things sanded and into shape needed. I'd remove the spoiler and your male mold you just made. From there you can make a female mold by laying up enough layers of glass matt that you have enough strength-wax your male mold first.
From there you can wax and lay up more fiberglass inside your female mold to make your piece. You may want to glass in some washers or something If you will actually be screwing the piece down. Or you could glass in a few studs to attach it to the trunk with nuts underneath the trunk. I think I'd just glue it on with panel adhesive. Then you could fiberglass and blend everything in, the spoiler is fiberglass right?
But in reality, since this is the only one you will probably be making, and if you plan on doing bodywork and blending everything in, I would probably just make the male mold like before, but make it so its just a little undersize. Then make the piece by laying glass mat and resin over that male mold. It won't be a finished looking piece, but you can smooth and blend it all in together at the same time when everything is attached to the car. Save you making the mold and the glass and resin there at least.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
boatbob2

spoiler

o an insulation supply co,buy a piece of eurathane form (either grey or light brown. put it into the place you want to glass ,gl;*** over the foam with 3 or 4 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat.ORmask everything off,go to home depot and buy a can of spray foam insulation (paint dept) fill the void with the foam,after it sets up,sand the foam to shape and glass it. of course, rough sand the spoiler with 40 or 80 grit (by hand) to give the foam something to hold onto.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.