help me - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2002, 03:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I got on my soap box about the Buick 231 V6 ( 3.8, sorry from the old school ) and never gave my opinion on what you should do with your 78 El Camino. By the way if any of you would like to see and read more on the fastest American Production car in 1987 or you would like to know more about Buick 3.8 or 4.1 V6's go to <a href="http://www.gnttype.org" target="_blank">www.gnttype.org</a> , that would be the 87 Grand National. How about 12's from the factory in 87 out of a V6.

What you should do with your car, well that is a very personal thing all of us can tell you stuff but you have to decide what you want . If you don't care about gas mileage or drivability go all out , a 12:1, 502 with a 3000 stall and a blower. Get some books and mag's and figure it out. Just remember for every positive performance thing you do it will have a negative effect some were else , gas mileage , drivability , etc. , don't rush it and above all have fun that is what it is all about.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 04:52 AM

I should have read all the post's before I put my last one up . Wayoutcat : the 3.8 was basically the same from the mid 70's thru 87 with some small mod's ( oil pick up enlarged for one) they did have some oiling problems which can be fixed with a high volume pump and they run a little hot ( 200-212) . these engines are based on the Buick 350 and have some parts that interchange, they actually came down the same production line. I also did not like the computer controlled carb's but that was solved in the early 80's with real fuel injection. Like I said above go to <a href="http://www.gnttype" target="_blank">www.gnttype</a> if you would like to know more about the little engine that could. I will also add that because of the oiling problems you have to keep the oil changed and just do what your supposed to do. Oh and the FWD 3.8 are not the same but the 4.1 V6 is and it came with a Q-jet 4bbl if any of you want a performance upgrade for your 3.8's
Old 07-25-2002, 05:13 AM

thanks for the info SlyFox!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up

hey man i agree get red of the v6 get 350 cheve no cheper way hp for hp the best value.
i have a 383 stroker still working the bugs out of it but think i will like it fine.

bob.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:27 AM

damn and i thought my first car was a peice
Old 07-26-2002, 02:05 PM
All throttle.. No bottle

Chevelle Girl....what was your first car? The reason I'm asking is because I always thought the el caminos were some pretty hot cars. My brother had a 66 with a 327/powerglide that would smoke anything in town.

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: C10 ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.