Help me build/buy a very fast computer PT.1: - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help me build/buy a very fast computer PT.1:

(Please) Help me build or buy a very fast computer.

Parameter(s):

1) i don't know jack about computers.

2) i want to download podcasts etc. like mad while surfing, and/or visiting/responding to forum boards (possibly several at a time), and/or watching videos and/or as well as doing other tasks. ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY. And i want instantaneous response and upmost speed.

3) No game playing, special video capability or special audio capability needed.

4) Don't need monitor, mouse or keyboard.

5) Discuss the possibility of upgrading/improving/modifying the present one if this is a viable alternative.

IF MONEY no object---------

IF Money an object (would prefer to spend $500 or under)------

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I am not a PC expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I see and use the computer for, if you don't have a great internet server, you are shoveling quicksand.

I have a laptop I use for work, minimal programs installed. It's about 5 times faster than our home PC, but the home PC is loaded with programs my wife just can't live without. Watch for sales, they should be coming up now until a few weeks after the new year.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds
Parameter(s):

1) i don't know jack about computers.

2) i want to download podcasts etc. like mad while surfing, and/or visiting/responding to forum boards (possibly several at a time), and/or watching videos and/or as well as doing other tasks. ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY. And i want instantaneous response and upmost speed.

3) No game playing, special video capability or special audio capability needed.

4) Don't need monitor, mouse or keyboard.

5) Discuss the possibility of upgrading/improving/modifying the present one if this is a viable alternative.

IF MONEY no object---------

IF Money an object (would prefer to spend $500 or under)------
Dude... ... Oh, wait a minute ... ...
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

If money is no object I would go to a boutique computer builder such as V3 Gaming and have them build your computer for you. I did, and I've never been this happy with the computer ever. I am not a gamer nor will I ever be. I do however have a solid-state video camera that creates huge files. Video editing software brought my old computer to its knees. In fact I'm not even typing this rather using voice recognition software and it is immediate. I would have a computer built with two solid-state hard drives running in a raid zero configuration. My computer was overclocked to 5 GHz and uses water cooling for the CPU.

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I tell you Bob, if I ever get into your neck of the woods, that's 3 toys I want to see now! Your T, your Caddy, and now your computer. I never knew there was a water cooled CPU! That's a speed I don't know anything about. Dan
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

No problem I go through your neck of the woods on a fairly regular basis. The watercooled CPU is getting pretty common amongst the heavy-duty gamers. This was the first time I splurged on a computer build, and I'm not regretting one second of it. By the way all this typing I'm not doing, I installed voice recognition software and it is working beautifully. I started it last night took about an hour for the software to teach me how to in turn teach the computer to recognize my voice. Total of two hours and then I was out here terrorizing the forms. The more I use this voice recognition software, the more it gets dialed into my voice and fluctuations. Last night after installing it, it made two or three mistakes for every hundred words I typed. Today different story, it is just not making any mistakes.

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i have been seeing the voice activated tv comercials and wondered how well they work
what band do you have deck?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
i have been seeing the voice activated tv comercials and wondered how well they work
what band do you have deck?
Matt,

I am using the Dragon naturally speaking voice recognition software. It took about two hours to set up, one hour to teach me how to teach the computer my voice, then another hour for the computer to learn my voice. I got this task finished about 2 AM this morning, played with it until about 4 AM, and went to bed. Today, it has been almost free of any kind of mistakes. The more you use it the better it gets in recognizing your voice. Since there are so many words that sound the same but have different meanings and spellings, it is best to get into the habit of speaking in full and complete sentences. The reason for this, is the software has a lot of intelligence and it can tell by how the sentence was constructed what word you meant to say even though another word would been spelled differently but have the same sound. All the above came out just the way I said it.

As much as I hate typing, this was the best $80 I spent.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Here's how I explained it to a friend of mine.

When you look at a spec sheet for a computer, you will see two things in particular - ROM and RAM.

So, let's pretend for a second that your PC is your truck. The RAM would be the size/hp of the engine and the ROM would be the size or carrying capacity of the buck. In the real world, people love power, so always go for as much RAM or 'engine' as you can get. If you want to store lots of stuff like music or videos, you're gonna need a big buck (ROM).

There are also 'External Hard Drives' that you can add if you want. These would be like hitching up a trailer. Is this making sense?

A computer with say 4 Gigabytes of RAM and a 500 Gigabyte hard drive (ROM) is sufficient to do the things you want. 4GB RAM is the minimum that a lot of online games require in order to play. That's what I have, although I don't use mine for gaming. I just like the pages to open quick when I'm on the internet.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
...IF Money an object (would prefer to spend $500 or under)------
I'll go the "budget" route since I just built a new one myself a couple weeks ago. I'm a bit like you and Deckofficer since I wanted some decent speed for doing video and graphics work (I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Premiere). My target was $500 but I went over that a bit at $570 (including all shipping and taxes).

Processor: AMD Phenom IIx4 955 Black Quad Core 3.2GHz (before overclocking) $112 Amazon

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 and HDMI with built in 4250 ATI video chip $90 Newegg (open box)

RAM: 8 Gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 $50 Newegg

Hard Drives: Dual Seagate Barracuda 500 Gig 7200.12's $110 for both Newegg

DVD Burners: Dual Samsung SATA SH222AB $36 for both Newegg

Case: Apex PC 389 C $35 Amazon

Power Supply: Cooler Master 500W $39 Amazon

Case Fan: Linkworld LLC FAN9 $5 Newegg

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premioum 64 bit $100 Amazon

BTW, even if you are not a computer whiz, you can build your own system without much trouble. There are great videos on line and a ton of web sites to walk you through the process. It's not like the old days when we used to tear our hair out building our own computers. Today most of the parts and pieces can be integrated pretty easily and drivers are pretty well taken care of by Windows.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Last journal entry: e boseze
Last photo:

e boseze

might check out star surplus, i think in ca. they have customer service & will help with what is compatable with what. Main thing is less soft ware is better, no screen saver, clean disk every day if on line at all. lots of memeory, hot processor, multi gig hard drives!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for responding----i'm extremely busy at work (have to pay for it somehow) and will have more time to discuss over the weekend.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

The folks on this form are all very helpful. I'm sure a lot of us will check this thread over the weekend, now get back to work so you can afford all these upgrades. Talk to you this weekend.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Thanks everyone for responding----i'm extremely busy at work (have to pay for it somehow) and will have more time to discuss over the weekend.
I must apologize for my previous reply because I honestly thought you were kidding about your requirements when I read #2, 3 and 4. For some reason, your requirements read to me as if you wanted the computer to do all those things, but without the use of a monitor, keyboard and mouse. It has now occurred to me that what you meant was that you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding as I was not trying to poke fun in any way, and my apologies to you and fellow members. I hope I did not offend you.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated
Here's how I explained it to a friend of mine.

When you look at a spec sheet for a computer, you will see two things in particular - ROM and RAM.

So, let's pretend for a second that your PC is your truck. The RAM would be the size/hp of the engine and the ROM would be the size or carrying capacity of the buck. In the real world, people love power, so always go for as much RAM or 'engine' as you can get. If you want to store lots of stuff like music or videos, you're gonna need a big buck (ROM).

There are also 'External Hard Drives' that you can add if you want. These would be like hitching up a trailer. Is this making sense?

A computer with say 4 Gigabytes of RAM and a 500 Gigabyte hard drive (ROM) is sufficient to do the things you want. 4GB RAM is the minimum that a lot of online games require in order to play. That's what I have, although I don't use mine for gaming. I just like the pages to open quick when I'm on the internet.
i love this explanation ram=motor and the rom=p-up bed

so then how would you describe the processor?
how many things the driver of the truck can operate at once?
steering, shifting, tuning radio, all while drinking a cup of coffee ?

Last edited by matts37chev; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.