Help me choose a color for my 41 Truck!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help me choose a color for my 41 Truck!!

Hey all,
I'm repainting my 41 to sell. It is already blue, but I was thinking of painting it red. I would appreciate your input!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png 41 Sidebyside.png (477.3 KB, 56 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

41 truck color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1847
Hey all,
I'm repainting my 41 to sell. It is already blue, but I was thinking of painting it red. I would appreciate your input!!!!
They don't call it resale red for nothing.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

X2 on red. I hate it, but it is resale red.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

I will agree with the red. :-)

Years ago I restored a '63 Impala SS with the 409/425 horse engine. The only thing I didn't like was the Aqua metallic it had originally... which looked like "Grandma's 6-cylinder SS".

I was planning to go full-time with my custom painting, and decided to sell the car, so I talked to O.B. Smith who dealt Chevies through Hemmings Motor News. He told me to go with the original red, black or white... but not aqua! Knowing a little about color use myself, I chose the more exciting red color.

I ran an add in Hemmings, and the car sold to the first guy who responded. The buyer agreed to pay more than the top price for a #1 car... even though he also had to ship it from Arizona to New York!

Another story is about some Corvettes a dealer had for sale here in town. He had two 350-horse '67 roadsters on the lot. One was red, with very high miles, and not many options.The other was a green metallic with the factory knock-off wheels... side pipes... and very low miles. He told me he couldn't even get people to look at the green one! Of course the red one sold first... and for more money!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

41 truck color

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
I will agree with the red. :-)

Years ago I restored a '63 Impala SS with the 409/425 horse engine. The only thing I didn't like was the Aqua metallic it had originally... which looked like "Grandma's 6-cylinder SS".

I was planning to go full-time with my custom painting, and decided to sell the car, so I talked to O.B. Smith who dealt Chevies through Hemmings Motor News. He told me to go with the original red, black or white... but not aqua! Knowing a little about color use myself, I chose the more exciting red color.

I ran an add in Hemmings, and the car sold to the first guy who responded. The buyer agreed to pay more than the top price for a #1 car... even though he also had to ship it from Arizona to New York!

Another story is about some Corvettes a dealer had for sale here in town. He had two 350-horse '67 roadsters on the lot. One was red, with very high miles, and not many options.The other was a green metallic with the factory knock-off wheels... side pipes... and very low miles. He told me he couldn't even get people to look at the green one! Of course the red one sold first... and for more money!
They did a study of colors on cars, a few years ago, to see which color was the hardest to sell, and which one easy. We all know red was first, but they said Blue was the hardest.

Now I don't know if that hold true today, as you see a lot of white cars, Which I think is not a very pretty color. They say that red resells good but, is one of the colors that attacked the police. like I said I don't know if this hold true today, and another thing I don't know is who "they" are.

I think Jay would know, as that's his line of work. Not who "they" are, but the resale part, but then again you might know who "they" are.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Bob, I'm a student of my art, so I have spent more time... about 50 years... thinking about the psychological meaning people attach to different colors.

Red is one of the most basic colors, which gives it somewhat of a "classic" look... but it is also an "excitement color", which probably explains a lot of the popularity on rods and customs! :-)

White is the look of something that is "virgin"... and somewhere down deep we imagine the car to have never been trashy or abused. I can see why it would be somewhat popular in sales. It is also very easy to care for.

Black is both a "value color"... and a "masculine color". Some might even say "sinister" or "powerful". Not a bad choice for a hot rod, unless you don't want to spend all of your time trying to keep it spotless and shiny!

One other thing to consider about colors on cars is, certain colors and cars have come to be classic combinations. That can add a classic value to the car. Examples might be a Plum Crazy purple Charger... a Tropical Turquoise '57 BelAir... or a pink '59 Cadillac. That can make unpopular colors suddenly desireable!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

41 truck color

Quote:
Bob, I'm a student of my art, so I have spent more time... about 50 years... thinking about the psychological meaning people attach to different colors.

Red is one of the most basic colors, which gives it somewhat of a "classic" look... but it is also an "excitement color", which probably explains a lot of the popularity on rods and customs! :-)

White is the look of something that is "virgin"... and somewhere down deep we imagine the car to have never been trashy or abused. I can see why it would be somewhat popular in sales. It is also very easy to care for.

Black is both a "value color"... and a "masculine color". Some might even say "sinister" or "powerful". Not a bad choice for a hot rod, unless you don't want to spend all of your time trying to keep it spotless and shiny!
Jay the only place we differ, is white, my idea of a Virgin is quite different than yours. I look at white and I see A refrigerator with wheels. Up here in the winter in a snow storm white is very hard to see, or just in a background of white.

I do understand what you are saying about white.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Jay the only place we differ, is white, my idea of a Virgin is quite different than yours. I look at white and I see A refrigerator with wheels. Up here in the winter in a snow storm white is very hard to see, or just in a background of white.

I do understand what you are saying about white.

Bob
On the other hand... it is safer at night,since it is very bright... does not show flaws as a most colors do... is easy to repair... is cheap to buy... and stays cooler if you live in a warm climate (like down here). :-)~

On the negative side:

If you live in a cold climate, it may remind you of shoveling... scraping... and shivering! I lived in that type of climate for 25 years! {:-(
Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

41 truck color

Quote:
On the other hand... it is safer at night,since it is very bright... does not show flaws as a most colors do... is easy to repair... is cheap to buy... and stays cooler if you live in a warm climate (like down here). :-)~

On the negative side:

If you live in a cold climate, it may remind you of shoveling... scraping... and shivering! I lived in that type of climate for 25 years! {:-(
Or to remember to put your car in the garage.

I do like pearl white, And I know the cost of the red vs white.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Red is a very popular color, but I really don't care for it. I owned a red mustang for a while, but the ad said it was green. When I got there it was red, but it was in perfect shape and had the right options, and the price was right - so I couldn't pass it up. My brother owns it now and the suns taken it's toll on it over the years. Now it's mostly pink thanks to our beautiful sunny weather

I like cars with hard lines and white always looks best on them to me. On the other hand, I'd never paint my 65 c10 white because it would just look like an old work truck to me. I guess I'm in the minority, as I've always been partial to blues and greens if not white.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Good ideas and opinions there - - - I guess Yeller is out of the question, huh? Repainting sure is a lot of cost and work to go to just to sell it. Do you think that it will pay for itself?

Back in the 70's, there was a feller here in Texas that had a yeller 41? Furd flat bed and for some unknown reason he was on the cover of every Rod Mag you picked up. Well, my buddy Lucky referred to that truck as "implement yellow" and it really pzzzzd the owner off. No hi-jack intended.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Hey thanks for the input. The truck is already blue everywhere except the parts that have already been sanded (down to metal, primered, blocked). The basically the cab and all interior parts are still blue. By the way did anyone check out the pic that was attached? It has an example of the two....
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

I decieded to repaint due to the obscenities scraped in the doors, and key scratches through the fenders!! (bought it that way)
Yeah I hear ya on the red and YELLOW too! My dad had a 57 Fairlane yellow, and I loved that thing!
Ok, well red it is.....
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

41 truck color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1847
I decieded to repaint due to the obscenities scraped in the doors, and key scratches through the fenders!! (bought it that way)
Yeah I hear ya on the red and YELLOW too! My dad had a 57 Fairlane yellow, and I loved that thing!
Ok, well red it is.....
I would pick a very simple red, as I believe red is one of the most expensive colors, Jay or Shine, Brian can tell you for sure.

Bob
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The old Chevys look good with the fenders and running boards a different color than the body. Tan Body, brown fenders, Silver/dark grey, endless combos. I don't know about resale but I like the look on some of those old trucks.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.