Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Help me decide on a color please! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-me-decide-color-please-173408.html)

lt1tyrell 02-22-2010 12:31 PM

Help me decide on a color please!

I have to make a decision in the next little while on my paint color. It is a 48 chev 2 door sedan and it is a resto-rod. Nothing is shaved or modified on the body but it is lowered. Since it is a resto-rod I want to keep it fairly simple, the wheels are going to be color matched smoothies with baby moons and chrome rings along with wide white tires. I like the idea of black but I dont like how it always looks dusty and shows the slightest srcatches and swirls. Can somebody envision this car and give me some suggestions?

cobalt327 02-22-2010 02:58 PM

If you're married, let the little lady choose the color. It'll score you major brownie points! ;)

eloc431962 02-22-2010 04:16 PM

What colors do you have in mind for your choices? We can through ideas at you all day long but in the end it's your choice anyway, Or i mean the little Lady like cobalt said score them brownie points. ;)

Cole

Footstomper 02-22-2010 04:22 PM

Color the original paint

I like the original color whether, black, grey, green. Just pull up the colors of the 1948 Chevrolet. The marketing at GM spent alot of apeal with the body shapes. When I decided on my car based on some fleck under the mounting on the door. So I painted it as it came original, I did not know how it would look, my wife saw it and said, that is the perfect color. I would never change the color.
People remember those cars with their young days. That is my opinion.

lanierledford 02-22-2010 04:57 PM

color, please

I had a 40 chevy 2dr. sedan, all orig. out side, except the wheels and I went with flip flop pearl white in the clear, over 89 GMC white. you might see it in my journal. :thumbup:

lt1tyrell 02-22-2010 10:39 PM

The original color was grey but I am still leaning towards black or a very dark cherry color. I think I would like to stick with something dark.

V8 Super Beetle 02-23-2010 02:02 PM

The cherry color sounds cool. Maybe even a candy or pearl with a black base then spray you color of cherry on top.

Brimstone 02-24-2010 10:47 AM

One thing you could look into is updating an original color in some small fashion - say pick something that was available in that year and then add some pearl to give it a bit of shimmer.

So if there was a deep or darkish royal blue (fer example) used in '48, you could throw in some lighter blue pearl for a subtle effect that would really pop in sunlight.

chevelle_502 02-24-2010 07:42 PM

Ledford and brimstone got the right idea. Pick your suitable base color and throw in some flakes. Or maybe mix it up with a light base color and a colored flake.

Pontiac_Judas 02-25-2010 02:44 PM

Primer grey. Will save you a ton!

(I kid, I kid...)