Help me diagnose my problem with my beater. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
"Permanately Banned"

Wiki Edits: 0

Help me diagnose my problem with my beater.

Help me diagnose my problem with my beater.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What seems to be the problem in this video?

I own a 1990 Chrysler Lebaron FWD which has a 6 cylinder 3.0 liter Mitzubishi motor in it. The little motor runs pretty decent when in working order. Well I finally got my beater back on the road after a long time out of commision. The decision to bring it out of retirement was mostly out of the necessity of requiring transportation to and from work otherwise I was just about ready to send it to the scrap yard. When I parked it 3 yrs ago it was leaking water as fast as I could pour it into the radiator. After some research I determined that it was a faulty water pump. The water pump is driven off the timing belt and I didn't want to mess with it so I hired a mechanic to confirm the source of the leak and fix it. The fix required a water passage to be replaced. A couple of O-rings, a water pump and timing belt. The cause was a corroded water passage leaking coolant which subsequently drenched the timing belt with a steady flow of coolant causing it to erode though it held until the fix could take place thank goodness. So of course when you're that far into the motor replacing a severly worn timing belt on a car that's water pump is driven off the timing belt then that's the time to replace the h20 pump as well so that's what we did.

All that a new battery and replaced my head light for $325.00. I thought it was a pretty good deal until I noticed that this lower crank pulley looks like it's going to pop off the vehicle at any time now. The thing wobbles so severely that I can't believe it hasn't thrown a belt yet. I'm not familiar with these motors or what might be the cause of this crank pulley flopping around so loosely like it appears to be in the video so I figured I'd you tube it and have you guys take a look and those of you that know what the hell you're talking about can maybe tell me what the hell went wrong here...

I'm hoping it's not another $200 dollar fix. I've been throwing down money for vehicle repairs this past year so often that I could have already purchased a nice economy car by now (fiesta) and had it halfway paid for with the amount of money that these things have cost me. One thing that really bothers me is when I pay for somebody's ride to get fixed (Step Daughters) and they turn around and act like they have no obligations to the family or house hold chores and decide to get all pissy when I insist they participate with groceries. Not to mention coming home 4 days after I paid for her car repair with a set of vanity contacts that cost her $70.00. I wish she wouldn't even have shared that info with me. Any how I just managed to derail my own thread in my first post of the thread....hahahaha...Back to the Beater issue.

Here's the video I took with the motor running. Sorry about the poor audio. Not the best video either but you'll get the idea....

After taking a look feel free to post up and tell me your best guess as to what the problem is that I'm having with this car. The best answer gets my Step Daughters hand in marriage so long as they agree to accept all her luggage as well....

90 Chrysler Lebaron Automatic 3.0L 6 cylinder FWD /Mitsubishi motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZacNCgLMVI

My first Youtube post. I can't figure out how to embed the video directly into the thread so I had to resort to the good ol copy and paste.

Thanks for your contributions.

Roach

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Looks to me like the balancer isn't even all the way on, and is cockeyed. I'd call the guy that did your timing belt and water pump and see what he's gonna do about it, he had it off and apparently didn't get it back together properly. I would NOT drive it like that, the balancer could come off and ruin your crankshaft if it's not already damaged.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

X2^^^

Definitely stop running the engine and have the shop seat that balancer! I don't know how any reputable shop could have over looked that???
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I did a job almost exactly the same on my old '91 Voyager.

I think the keyway and/or key is out of position, and that's preventing the damper from seating properly.

My damper took a puller to remove, but to reinstall, all I had to do was to align the keyway in the damper w/the key in the crank snout and 'wiggle' it into position. I gave it a couple taps w/a mallet and block of wood just to satisfy myself it was fully seated, then torqued down the bolt, attached the pulleys and that was it.

At least it should be an easy fix...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The sixbolts that hold the pulle to the balancer may be loose. they would have to be removed to slide the balancer off as it would give clearance with the pulleys out of the way. If the balancer is loose things are looking ugly.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM

the timing belt has two cams that have marks and both must be at 12:00,
the crankshaft was a dimple too and it must also align to a notch on crankshaft housing. The trick is not lining the marks up but keeping the 2 cams on there marks exactly while fighting the valve springs that want to swing one countercllock wise and the other clockwise. Either figure out a jig or get bubba to help you hold them still while you put on belt.

_______________________-
groan stopper bolt cover

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.