Help me evaluate my paintjob - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Last journal entry: Some finished pictures
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help me evaluate my paintjob

Greetings,

I am no expert regarding paint so I need help before making an uniformed complaint. I had paint and bodywork done on my 72 Camaro and have paint chipping/flaking off. I would like to approach this delicately to maintain a good relationship with the shop.

I have attached the some pictures of what I'm experiencing and would like to know what could have caused this. This was not an economy job and paid good money and believe they use good Dupont supplies.

This is the area where the Urethane RS nose connects to the valance.

This is a flaked off spot near hood.

Rocker area

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

I donít know of any delicate way to put this, but, Iíll try any ways.

First photo: two separate pieces should have been removed and repaired then painted separately, then re-installed. Instead cheap seam sealer was used and due to the normal flex and vibration of the joint paint is peeling and separation is evident. Cure: parts need to be removed and properly repaired and painted then re-installed.

Second photo: Poor adhesion is evident here. Moreover, the panel on the left has a hairline crack in the paint. Reason, third photo provides the answer.

Third Photo: Way too much red hardener in Dura glass.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

X2 Just what he said.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 AM

Last photo:

no delicate way, take it back and show them what af++ked up job they done thats what u pay them for to do it right. try to get a job at a shop and u have to have 10 yrs experience etc etc etc
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for your responses. This will help me understand the process more. I anticipate I will be blamed for damaging the car putting the exterior parts on.

I know these places were not bumped by me and I did damage the paint when installing a door handle and it didn't flake off. The damage looked much different.

Thanks again
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
The second and third photo show poor adhesion, it looks like you could get your finger nail under that and just keep on chipping it off.

But the thing you need to verify is what exactly is chipping off? Is it something the bodyshop applied or is it something they painted over because they weren't paid to strip it to bare metal? The material looks pretty thick, did they apply all this or did they just "paint it" and there were previous poorly applied paint or primers?

The bodyshop may or may not be at fault here.

Brian
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Last journal entry: camaro
Last photo:

How long has it been since the car was painted?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

That is a good point regarding previous work. The previous paint was a cheap single stage done by a discount chain 30 years ago.

Painting over that was a concern so they sanded that off and got to a previous paint job. The filler work was done over that paint. Then primed and final smoothing was done. Then the car was then primed again and painted.

The paint was done about three weeks ago.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

It looks like what they painted over may be what let loose. Honestly, unless they were paid to remove it, you got what you paid for. You can't make them responsible for work that they didn't do and weren't paid to correct.

If they want to fix these spots out of the goodness of their hearts let them and be very appreciative because they don't have to to do it.

Brian
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
It looks like what they painted over may be what let loose. Honestly, unless they were paid to remove it, you got what you paid for. You can't make them responsible for work that they didn't do and weren't paid to correct.

If they want to fix these spots out of the goodness of their hearts let them and be very appreciative because they don't have to to do it.

Brian
Agreed but...would a epoxy primer or sealer prevented this from happening? If so, the shop should have known and charges for that to be done, if not, the customer should have been told there was a possibility of that being a problem. Either way, a touch up, be it brush or sprayed, will need to be done. I'd ask for some paint for that reason. I don't know what you paid, but it seems you can't get a decent job in this area, with a guarantee, for less than 10 grand. If you paid less than 4 grand, I'd touch it up myself if they won't do it for free.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

In regards to "getting what I paid for" I didn't have any opinion or place any limitation on what should be sanding off. Nor did I limit the amount of money I would spend. They worked on it and I wrote checks based on the time. Cost for filler work and paint was about 14K.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

For that kind of money it should have been stripped. Unless there was a bunch of body work, $14 grand should have gotten it stripped.

Brian
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

If I would have paid 14K for that kind of work, and this happened this soon, I would be sitting on their doorstep when they opened,
That looks like plain ole over priced , shabby work to me,,
even if they didn't strip it,, they should have known that the base they were working with wasn't right..
the caulk was just smeared on and a finger ran down it to kinda smooth it out,, wonder if he licked his finger first to keep the caulk from stickin to his finger,,

You paid for a premium paint job and didn't get anything close,, sorry to be so blunt,, but 14K is alot of money and I definately would be doing something about it,,, nice or not,,
Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM

14k and its loaded with filler and fiber fill??? 14k is a bare metal respray and all metal should be metal finished requiring at the very most a light skim.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
If I would have paid 14K for that kind of work, and this happened this soon, I would be sitting on their doorstep when they opened,
That looks like plain ole over priced , shabby work to me,,
even if they didn't strip it,, they should have known that the base they were working with wasn't right..
the caulk was just smeared on and a finger ran down it to kinda smooth it out,, wonder if he licked his finger first to keep the caulk from stickin to his finger,,

You paid for a premium paint job and didn't get anything close,, sorry to be so blunt,, but 14K is a lot of money and I definitely would be doing something about it,,, nice or not,,
Agreed. When I was looking at your problems, I was thinking that you paid $2000-4000 plus materials without a lot of major surgery being done. They should remedy this with no belly aching, it didn't work for them this time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.