Help me everyone !!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2002, 08:33 AM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Definitely a good idea! My suggestions are pretty similar to everyone elses. A section for what tools are absolutely necessary would be good as would a section on garage/shop/space setup. Another good thing to have would be the engine/trans/rear end combination. I've seen a lot of people seeking help because they have a huge cam, small carb, 4:10 gears, stock heads, etc. The planning stage is the most crucial in my mind. A good section would be exposing industry myths and marketing ploys. I've seen tons of adds that claim huge gains but in the real world don't add up to much. Exhaust tips that will add 20hp, things to bolt into your air box on fuelie vehicles that will increase mileage by 10-20 mpg, the list goes on and on and on.....
Basically, if it worked for you, you should include it. That's what people like to hear, things that worked for other rodders. Also, what about a section on making certain tools? Homemade stuff is always cool

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2002, 08:20 PM

once again i am in awe of the collective brain power we at this site have if we were to unite all at once the world and all vintage tin would be in trouble...
everyone has great ideas the only thing i might add is that the first time guy take things very slowly look at the vehicle top to bottom front to back dont just rush in and start taking things apart maybe work one specific thing at a time and start with the small stuff first things that can be completed in a day or two bringing satisfaction to the builder that way he will keep interest in the project more or less set up a series of small projects on the car that way the goals are met on a regular basis and keep a realistic theme to the work stick to the original goal
tell them to shop around ask other rodders measure ten times cut once if a part needs replacing or upgrading take it to the junkyard with you so you can compare parts you might find there most of all dont get in a rush... and dont ever think you know it all...
Old 02-02-2002, 06:01 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Question

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]</p>
Old 02-03-2002, 10:03 AM

my two cents worth.books are fine especialy if it has lots of pictures ( I like pictures). to change the format . todays high teck age how about a video? if most rodders are like me (hope not) the buget is low real LOW , BUT , a video of how to overhaul a carb an old thermoquad or quadrajet or even the old single throat would do wonders for a guy like me! One thing I hate more than anything is having to do a carb. my 52 year old eye's don't work on small parts any more , if its less than a foot square I need a seeing eye dog to help.
Better yet a cd-rom you have a computor (I can tell) these new video cams are cool. almost as cool as a home built T bucket. don't edit out a thing leave it whole if you do something wrong then thats just that much better. just remember GODS the only one that does it right the first time!
Well enought said just my thoughts for what its worth. and if you do this one way or another I would be interested in buying a book or video.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:48 PM

I think a lot of you guys need to read my web site. Most of the things you want are in it. And what is not in it I will put in. How to build a low buck hot rod. Give it a look. ROY
Old 02-05-2002, 06:17 AM

well i am trying to just get started in it and i would want to know your opinion on everything under the sun about restoring or building a street rod
Old 02-09-2002, 03:27 PM

1 financial plan
2 new or used parts
3engine section
4 body section /modifacation ideas steel fab fiber glass fab
5 saftey / does and don'ts exaust ,brakes wheels etc.
6.think of it as your showing a sixteen year old kid that never picked up a wrench how to build
7 maybe in depth with just specic areas like ideas or plans blue prints copy write ideas.
do a series of books like ase with entense focus on each one area frame prep to custom head light buckets wired. good luck
Old 02-25-2002, 11:17 PM

To point out that Buick Olds And Pontiac are basiclly the same cars, as is lincoln and mercury,Dodghe and Plymouth. That most GM parts will fit GM cars with little modification.Olds omega,Pontiac Phenoex,Chevy Novas of the same years, a lot of the parts will interchange. These are useful tips I learned in the salvage yard. Open the hood and think boy that looks just like the radiator in my Nova, pull the one out of the Omega, and guess what it fit, plus it was a 4 core compared to my 2 core 6 cyl radiator.This rule stand true for all makers of cars. I found out yesterday the 76 jeep cherrokee, uses the same U-joints as my 75 chevy 4x4.This is a wealth of info that everyone needs to know.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:25 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I think Mrmotorsport said it best when he said to talk about how the vehicle works,example-relationship between engine, trans, and rear. Why do want to set your engine up differently if you have a 2.73 rear compared to a 4.88 rear. I've learned over the years that most of my early projects were over carbed, over cammed, and usually under geared. Although all that rumble in the engine sounds nice, but when it comes time to step on the go pedal sometimes a little less engine and a better set-up in the rear goes a long way at your average light to light street race. Is your goal to race quarter mile or do 125 m.p.h through the dessert and not overheat. Anybody can buy parts and make a car that sounds great at the local hang-out or car show, but when I'm building a car it's completely different if it's going to the track or being driven down the coast for a vacation(which my current '73 Fastback does. Everybody's opinions differ but I've had pretty good success and most of the other twenty-some techs at the dealership I work at agree that to many people just don't set their car up as good as they could and it's costly to learn by trial and error. Write what you believe and let the reader agree or disagree, it's all good.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:14 PM

I think that an engine section is a must. what people think they know and what they really know are always 2 very different things. I know what i learned took a long time and a shortening of this process will always make the process a lot smother.
Mabey body and paint do's and don'ts

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.