Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help Me Figure out the Best Budget Front End to Use
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 AM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help Me Figure out the Best Budget Front End to Use

Hello gents. I have a thread running under the "Hotrodding Basics" column. It is located here:

Another V8 Bug Build....with a Turbo

The Bug is going to be a front mounted SBC / Turbo 350 with a turbo / intercooler set up located in the cab area. The vehicle will primarily be a 1/4 vehicle with the occasional car show or Saturday night cruise.

Since I am fabricating the frame (ordered 40' of 2"x3"x3/16" wall rectangular steel last week which should be in on Monday or Tuesday), I wanted to get some opinons on what you guys think will be the best front end suspension for the build.

The only real requirements that the front end suspension / steering / brakeing must have is 1) disc brakes, 2)make the thing go straight down the track, 3) be decent at weight transfer and 4) won't take a doctorate in engineering to figure out and design.

I initially thought about a Mustang II front end, but I have to believe there is a much cheaper way than spending $1200-$2000 on a front end. If there isn't, please let me know that as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a relatively cheap front end to put on my Bug build that wont break the bank and will still meet my four requirements above? I am open to any idea (old school engineering or new) and would prefer to get most of the parts out of the junk yard if possible. I would really prefer that it be a coilover, tubular a-arm type of set up, but again, I am open to any ideas.

Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 11-06-2011 at 12:19 AM.