Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Help Me Figure out the Best Budget Front End to Use (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/help-me-figure-out-best-budget-front-end-use-208231.html)

31fordcoupe 11-06-2011 12:07 AM

Help Me Figure out the Best Budget Front End to Use

Hello gents. I have a thread running under the "Hotrodding Basics" column. It is located here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anot...ml#post1486725

The Bug is going to be a front mounted SBC / Turbo 350 with a turbo / intercooler set up located in the cab area. The vehicle will primarily be a 1/4 vehicle with the occasional car show or Saturday night cruise.

Since I am fabricating the frame (ordered 40' of 2"x3"x3/16" wall rectangular steel last week which should be in on Monday or Tuesday), I wanted to get some opinons on what you guys think will be the best front end suspension for the build.

The only real requirements that the front end suspension / steering / brakeing must have is 1) disc brakes, 2)make the thing go straight down the track, 3) be decent at weight transfer and 4) won't take a doctorate in engineering to figure out and design.

I initially thought about a Mustang II front end, but I have to believe there is a much cheaper way than spending $1200-$2000 on a front end. If there isn't, please let me know that as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a relatively cheap front end to put on my Bug build that wont break the bank and will still meet my four requirements above? I am open to any idea (old school engineering or new) and would prefer to get most of the parts out of the junk yard if possible. I would really prefer that it be a coilover, tubular a-arm type of set up, but again, I am open to any ideas.

Please help. Thanks.

123pugsy 11-06-2011 01:39 PM

After making my front suspension from scratch, I'd say the $1200-$2000 would be a good investment.

The computer program cost about $130.00. This was used to design pivot points and roll center.

I believe one member here used an S-10 chassis and all the suspension parts on his Bug.

Many ways to go.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...42_Medium_.jpg

V8Square 11-07-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe
Hello gents. I have a thread running under the "Hotrodding Basics" column. It is located here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anot...ml#post1486725

The Bug is going to be a front mounted SBC / Turbo 350 with a turbo / intercooler set up located in the cab area. The vehicle will primarily be a 1/4 vehicle with the occasional car show or Saturday night cruise.

Since I am fabricating the frame (ordered 40' of 2"x3"x3/16" wall rectangular steel last week which should be in on Monday or Tuesday), I wanted to get some opinons on what you guys think will be the best front end suspension for the build.

The only real requirements that the front end suspension / steering / brakeing must have is 1) disc brakes, 2)make the thing go straight down the track, 3) be decent at weight transfer and 4) won't take a doctorate in engineering to figure out and design.

I initially thought about a Mustang II front end, but I have to believe there is a much cheaper way than spending $1200-$2000 on a front end. If there isn't, please let me know that as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a relatively cheap front end to put on my Bug build that wont break the bank and will still meet my four requirements above? I am open to any idea (old school engineering or new) and would prefer to get most of the parts out of the junk yard if possible. I would really prefer that it be a coilover, tubular a-arm type of set up, but again, I am open to any ideas.

Please help. Thanks.

I have the Mustang II front suspension on my V8 VW Squareback project.Nobody ever said these project cars would be cheap. I am using tubular control arms. Has disc brakes and power steering. Email me and I can give you some more info. Tom ---murphy_tom@sbcglobal.net

31fordcoupe 11-07-2011 11:20 PM

Pugsy,

Very nice set up. Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Square
I have the Mustang II front suspension on my V8 VW Squareback project.Nobody ever said these project cars would be cheap. I am using tubular control arms. Has disc brakes and power steering. Email me and I can give you some more info. Tom ---murphy_tom@sbcglobal.net

Hotrodding is not cheap? Who woulda thunk it? :D

Anyway, like my original post said, if a Mustang II front end is the most economical way to get a quality front end that meets my criteria, then that is the way I will go. I have a Mustang II front end under the 31 Ford in my avatar. Just wanted to get some input from someone who may have done a ground up project and done it some other way, and still managed to get what I am after for something less than $2k. Thanks gents.

V8Square 11-08-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe
Pugsy,

Very nice set up. Looks great.

Hotrodding is not cheap? Who woulda thunk it? :D

Anyway, like my original post said, if a Mustang II front end is the most economical way to get a quality front end that meets my criteria, then that is the way I will go. I have a Mustang II front end under the 31 Ford in my avatar. Just wanted to get some input from someone who may have done a ground up project and done it some other way, and still managed to get what I am after for something less than $2k. Thanks gents.

If you decide to go the Mustang II setup, I have a set of brand new, upper shock towere from Jim Weimer Rod Garage that I can make you a great price on.

seniormaster 11-13-2011 09:52 AM

how about an old straight axle?

cboy 11-13-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seniormaster
how about an old straight axle?

I'm thinking the same thing if $ is a deciding factor. Should get you down the track and provide decent ride for an occasional outing on the street.

V8Square 11-13-2011 12:09 PM

Suspension

I have a friend that has a complete suspension from a '80's Corvette, front and rear all the way to rotors and calipers. He is storing it at my house for about 6 weeks or until it sells. He is asking $800.00 for it.

seniormaster 11-13-2011 05:57 PM

I know a guy that built a '30 ford cuope and put a supercharged 429SCJ in it, it drives fine according to him, with a straight axle under it.