Thanks for that too!
So, what I decided to do, since I have the parts, was to use a vacuum delay.
This is that part that has a connection for manifold and ported and then to the distributor.
Having this connected, with the initial set at 12 degrees, put the timing at idle to about 18 degrees at idle. Idle speed was about 200 rpm higher and I did notice a little hard to start unless I pressed the throttle just slightly or closed the choke a little bit.
Will test this out tonight on the drive to work and see how it runs.
Worse case scenario is I pull the vacuum line from the distributor and plug it back into the ported supply on the carburetor.
(In the meantime, I'll be researching what I need for converting to TBI using the model 700 system.)