Help me hash out a plan of attack - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help me hash out a plan of attack

I will finally be starting to work on my '53 Packard Clipper this spring, but I honestly don't have a clue as to where I should start. Starting is the hard part, once I do that, I will be on a role. Should I rebuild the engine first, then go to the chassis then do the body? Or chassis, engine, then body? Where would you start?

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

order of build

Frame
rolling chasis
drive train
body
plumbing
electrical
paint
Old 02-22-2005, 05:15 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
Frame
rolling chasis
drive train
body
plumbing
electrical
paint
Yup this is the way to go...As I remove parts from on of these I clean them and primer them with a good 2k primer..then they don't rust and they are ready to reassemble..Hope you have some good storage to keep things clean and out of the weather while the project is underway..

OMT
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

take a LOT of pictures and make up a list......

use baggies to put the bolts and screws in and put in a note as to what they are for. If your rebuilding the stock running gear make sure to take pictures of trans linkages and wiring and accelerator linkage routeing. The more pictures the better...for you!!! If you have a digital camers fill it up a couple of time's and edit out the duplictate pictures later. YOU CAN'T TAKE TO MANY PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Last edited by tm454; 02-28-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:49 PM
old car nut

Last photo:

Chris:
What you didn't say was what you wanted to achieve with the car. Are we looking for a full restoration, a cosmetic restoration, a little updating or what. A lot of people charge into a restoration or rod job and get discouraged because it takes so long. If the body and interior are in reasonable shape you can rebuild the running gear in a reasonable amount of time and put it back in and enjoy it before taking the next step. To really do the body you have to take it completely apart (glass, sheet metal, chrome, wiring, interior). This takes time, patience and money and you have to decide if you have all these things. I have purchased several cars that people tore completely apart and then lost interest.

As has been said before buy a digital camera and take many, many, many pictures. Load then on your computer and then burn them to CD. Take many before and after shots at the highest resolution you can. You never know when you want to blow the shot up. Get a movie camera and mount it on a tripod and film everything you do. You never know when a spring will pop and a part will fall as you are taking it apart. Get several paint pens with different colors and mark on every part where it came from and on a full size drawing of the car indicate where it goes. Use one color for driver side and another for the passenger. As was said before get many plastic bags and go to yard sales and buy tupperware to put parts in.

Get a three ring binder and make up a baby book with all the pictures you have and research material. Put the pictures in plastic protectors and make an extra set for greasy hands.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Wow, lots of info here. Thanks guys. Pictures are a deffinate "check". I have been doing a lot of research since I got the car back in '99. I even have a Shop Service manual that I have been using. I have also been collecting bags and boxes too. The paint pen idea is a new one, and will be used.

I pulled the frame yesterday while I was off. Talk about a job. Here are the pictures

Any more info is wonderful. Thanks again.

I will be doing a full restoration to factory specs. The only things I plan on upgrading are the stereo, paint color, and possibly the electrical system to 12V. I do realise this is going to take a lot of time and money, and am prepared for that. If it takes me 10 years, so be it, I can wait. Well not really but I don't have a choice. lol

Chris
Old 03-01-2005, 03:11 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Building a car

I use zip lock bags. I reuse them over and over. I always take pics and put my projects on the web after they are done. I store my parts wrapped in clean rags and stored in cardboard boxes. I do a section at a time each winter and drive in the summer.

My ongoing projects;
http://www.geocities.com/corvettes2001/restoration/
http://members.shaw.ca/g.body.building/

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.