Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - help me identify the engine
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 05:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help me identify the engine

I've used this message board before with great success so I'm hoping your collective wisdom can help me out again.

Here's the deal - I'm going to look at a 1976 El Camino this Saturday. However the lady that's selling it is a bit confused about what engine is in it. She says its a Chevy 455 (454?) and is 1965 - h'm something not right here me thinks.

I've done some homework looking at introduction dates for big blocks. So lets assume that she's got her dates wrong and its some form of GM engine either big block Chevy of some capacity, or a BOP 455, or the original engine (SB 350 or 400?).

The bottom line is how do I identify between all of these different combos, if I've only got a visual inspection in a crowded engine bay. Are there some particular details that will help, eg shape of rocker cover, number of bolts on rocker cover, water pump shape/size/ fixing etc .

I'm a Pontiac man so my experience lies here. Do all GM heads have the same method of date coding as Pontiac as this would help with dating at least.

Thanks in anticipation for any help.