Help Me Im Broke And My Starter Took A Dump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 AM

Last journal entry: 67 El Camino
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help Me Im Broke And My Starter Took A Dump

The main reason i'm here is i was looking for an answer to my delemma and stumbled on this site. Pretty impressive I must say and most of you on here seem like you you know your *****. My question is, my starter isn't disengaging after the car is already running. Sometimes it only does it a few seconds and goes away, other times i actually have to turn the car off because it will not stop. It's the same sound as if you were to try and start a car while it's running. Im am about to give up on this car because I need a good daily driver and so far in the past month, i've already replaced the radiator, fixed the window, done some wiring repair, tuned it up, and had a bolt fall out of my front passenger side caliper on the freeway (it has 69 camaro disc's up front). Any help would be greatly appreciated, because im only 21 years of age and am on a very very limited budget. Thanks in advance. HenryHighrise mentioned something about my bandix being bad. Im pulling the starter out today and checking out the selanoid to see why its not disengaging. HELP ME!!

Advertisement

Last edited by 67elco; 09-29-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Its just about got to be either a bad Bendix or the solenoid sticking. Let us know what you find. It could be a bad ignition switch also but I suspect its probably your solenoid.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

I pulled it out this morning and the actual gear that engages the flywheel was sliding in and out. From what i remember, it should be spring loaded. correct me if im wrong. So i took it down to autozone and got it tested, and the thing is no good. So i guess im gonna have to spend what little money i have on buying a new one. 57 bucks for a rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty. I also checked the ignition switch last night and found it to be working properly, i hope. I know i should probably start a new thread for this question, but i have anti freeze sitting on top of the intake manifold up towards the alternator. So far ive checked my hoses, replaced them, tightened down the manifold bolts, and checked the inlet neck to see if maybe it was corroding, but everything seems alright. but no matter what, there is always antifreeze sitting up there, just a little puddle. Do you think its the intake manifold gasget on that side?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Lost in the 60's

OK, Thats what I originally thought. That drive gear and the spring that works it is called a Bendix. I don't think your manifold gaskets are leaking...If so how could they leak and get anti-freeze up on top of the manifold? unless it was spraying against something and deglecting back on it. Maybe your upper hose is old and hard and just not sealing against the thermostat housing neck even with the clamp tight. Do you ever have to add coolant? Does it ever run hot? If not you just got a little seep.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

the neck may not be sealing right. i replaced the gasget and put a new bead of sealant on there. ive checked it while running and everything seems alright. i drive this thing on the freeway just about everytime i drive it. 15 minutes in each direction. i have stock gearing so it doesnt scream to bad on the freeway. i ran it without a thermostat for a few days and it ran extrememly cool, even on the freeway, rarely seeing 180 degrees on my gauge. now i have a 180 thermostat and it consistantly runs between 205 and 230. i had the radiator completely flushed and checked for leaks, and it was just extremely dirty. could having my remote tranny cooler mounted on the front of the radiator have anything to do with the higher tempature? once again thanks for the help.

Last edited by 67elco; 09-29-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

If you have a stock Chevy aluminum thermostat housing...it's leaking. You could try putting studs in the intake instead of the bolts, or get a cast iron housing...or both.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Air

Doc here,

Do you have a Coolant Recovery Kit installed and filled?

Burp the system to purge it of air..If it won't expel air at 215 to 230 get a new cap

If you have an air bubble it will settle in the water pump and cavitate the flow of water to the block causing excess heat and temp excursions..

If you are finding coolant on the manifold, you have a leak, this means after it leaks it sucks air back in...If that is a water neck, remove it clean BOTH sides with a wire-brush mounted in a drill until spotless..Next, add a bead dead center to the manifold , then one to the housing, install the gasket and reassemble, use RTV orange and apply a bead to the bolts too..

Start and run your engine with an eye on the temp gauge the other on your recovery kit..When it gets hot (warm) you should see coolant nd air in the recovery tank..Be sure to keep the tank full, because it will draw air back into the system if you don't.

On the other, you need a bendix most likely...Get the new one..for $57 bucks..

Doc
Old 09-30-2005, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

i checked the inlet neck and one of the mounting bolt holes was stripped. i guess i should also look into buying a new manifold now? its a stock gm manifold anyway, i'll probably get the performer manifold eventually. I do have an overflow tank but it has a gaping hole in the top of it. I have purged the system and its still running at the same tempature. I inspected the inlet neck again and it seemd to have a little bit of corrosion on the inside that i guess i overlooked the first time. I don't have a helicoil kit to fix the stripped bolt hole, so what should i do about that? This car is turning out to be a nightmare. runs awesome, but its nickle and diming me to death.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Lost in the 60's

If there is enough metal around the bolt hole and I believe there is, just drill and tap to the next size, then drill out the hole in you housing to take the larger bolt.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

put the new starter in today and now my battery is dead after sitting for a few days. it clicks but it just dont have the juice to crank. im an idiot and dont have jumper cables anymore so once again it sits in the driveway until later today when a 20 pack and some cables are provided by my buddy from upland. Also had an awesome moment when i bashed my head on the corner of my hood and split it open thanks to some tired hood springs. I appreciate all of your help fellas. As soon as its runnin again i will definately post it. 3 days without my car is getting to be a little old.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

the car runs awesome once again, starter hooked up and working great. The car starts up on the first crank now, didnt do that before. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Lost in the 60's

Glad ya got it fixed up and going.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.