Hot Rod Forum banner

Help me pick a C4

806 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  curtis73 
#1 ·
I'm helping a buddy drop a 302/C4 into his 65 Ranchero. It originally had a 170/C4 but the old drivetrain is long gone. We have the engine stuff all figured out, but I don't know much about C4s.

What application should I grab to match the length/mounting, etc of the original C4?

#2 ·
curtis73 said:
I'm helping a buddy drop a 302/C4 into his 65 Ranchero. It originally had a 170/C4 but the old drivetrain is long gone. We have the engine stuff all figured out, but I don't know much about C4s.

What application should I grab to match the length/mounting, etc of the original C4?

They are all about the same '64-'82 regardless of what they come from. There are several different bell housings, but they are all interchangeable. I went through 3 before I found the right one. There is the 'early' version which is pan fill and the 'later' which is case fill. If I were to go out to buy one today, it would be from a later V8 and have a case fill and "supposedly" one from a pick up is stronger. With that said my spare C4 is from a truck - and internally it is identical to the one in my car. Any used C4 will need to be rebuilt regardless, so all the good heavy duty stuff along with a valve body reprogramming should be considered.

Just be aware that an '82 to '86 C5 is not necessarily a C4 with a lock up torque converter and a C3 is a light duty Pinto size transmission.

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.