Help me pick a trailer...what do you use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Help me pick a trailer...what do you use?

Hey guys,

Well, since I plan on actually getting the S-10 on the track this spring it has come time for me to buy a trailer. I have been looking around and have found what I think are some pretty good deals. I am debating on whether to pony up for a little nicer one or not.

I have found a new 18' dove tail, wood floor, 3600# axles with one brake, new tires and wheels, ramps, and saftey break away for $1300. Second thing I am looking at is a Gravity tilt bed: new 22'(4 plus 18 tilt), same specs as the other trailer except used wheels and tires for $1800.

I think the tilt trailer is an awesome concept and a buddy of mine likes his that he uses for his wrecker service. The drawback is of course the price and that it is about 400 miles more to drive and get. With the new little one here, money has become somewhat less plentiful so $500 is alot. Do you guys think it is worth it?

Another thing is that I dont what to get a trailer that is a pain to load on. The S-10 has about 3.5 inches of clearance on the exhaust downpipe and the 4 Link crossmember so it could be a little close on the dove tail. How low of a car have you guys put on a standard dove tail?

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am really wondering if your looking at everything. I had a Chevy Blazer S10 and had a terrible time just pulling or stopping my 18 foot boat trailer. What is the pulling capacity of your truck? Do you have enough to pull and stop the trailer even if the trailer has brakes? Shoot, my friend has a Ford 150 and it wasn't rated high enough to pull my 66 Chevy Truck.
Just asking.
Dutch

Last edited by Dutchman; 01-26-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

I built mine for $320. Bought a old Road Ranger travel trailer (for $100) that was totaled but good frame. Widened the axles and frame 9 " (to 8' ) and shortened the bed to 16'. Has brakes on both axles. #3500 each axle. Cost $20 for 5 yrs registration.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Dutchman, My pull truck is a 2000 Silverado, 5.3 with a few extras, 4l80, 3.42 gears. I think it will do fine pulling the trailer. I will be pulling my S-10 to the track. I should have been more clear.

Toys, I have thought about building a trailer, but after pricing axles, brakes, fenders, hitch, jack, lights, etc. it seemed like it would cost close to as much as I could buy one for. This was especially true when I found the $1300 deal which is about $500 cheaper than I have found anywhere else for the same trailer.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-27-2004, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Turbo, I have built a few trailers over the years and I agree with you in the building costs if you are buying new stuff to do the building. With a lot of scrounging around, you can end up cheaper, but that takes time. In your shoes, I would be looking for a pure tilt trailer that you either drive on or winch on. You would not have to worry about undercarriage clearance. Brakes on one axle would be adequate, but definitely have brakes for liability purposes if nothing else. Featherlite makes some great equipment, but the price is out of sight. I'm sure you have seen lots of different trailers at the strip and you know lots of people go in and out of the racing business. You may be able to pick up a custom used one from some one throwing in the towel.

Trees
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I bought one with a dovetail. The ramps slide in/out of the trailer. This is the ONLY time I ever used it......

I would suggest saving up and buying a enclosed trailer. Vastly better security for your ride and the tools. I have a Pace Shadow....22 footer. There are lots of them for sale NOW....off season.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 01-27-2004, 11:33 AM

I have a18 ft trailer with a dovetail. My son has put quite a few lowered trucks on it and its close but none hit yet.

I would suggest spending the extra cash for a full floor not just 2 runners. The trailer can now be used for a lot of other things besides cars, tool boxes, lumber, etc.

I have also added a several lights in addition to what the dealer put on. EXtra side marker lights and more important, front and back of fenders as close to the outside that you can. I have several friends who have been hit at night when they are towing a mt trailer because it is hard to see. I also added reflective white tape to outside rails for same reason.

I mounted a storage box to the front which can be removed if it has to be to keep everything in it, straps, chains, comealong, wheel chocks, couple tools, etc. This way when I need it, it is always on the trailer, I do not spend a half hour lookin for
the chain. Oh yeah i keep the box locked so no one borrows anything also
Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Whatever kind you get look for an "extra wide". The 6 or so extra inches you get really makes a difference. I paid $1300 for a dovetail trailer. Weimer and I have picked up a few cars with it. The only thing that if they are low the exhaust would hit. Nothing serious but a hassle non-the-less. But for your S-10 you should be fine. Another thing to consider is self storing ramps over the foldup type. Although when backing an empty trailer the foldup type would help considerably by being able to see the back of the trailer easier.

Kevin

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.