Help me stop again! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help me stop again!

Ok I have a 64 1/2 mustang that took a trip around the block and had to come back because the brakes are not doing its job. In the front are disc from the factory with 4 pistons. the problem is that I up graded to power brakes with a new master cylinder disk in front and drum in the rear. i have a proporsion valve in the rear lines. When I apply the brakes the car only slows down I dont feal the front diving . Also when I press hard on the brakes I hear and feal a pop. There are no leaks and the lines have been blead. Any ideas of were I should start looking?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

no stop'n

i'm a little confused... 4 piston calipers ?????? and u say there are stock??? i don't recall that as stock, and most likely i'm miss informed. if there after mkt the m/c is too small and the disc are taking way too much fluid to work. need bigger bore on m/c...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That's a rare one with the discs - I don't believe I've seen one tho I do know they exist

OK - what prop valve did you use? Standard Ford OEM or after market? Calipers - rebuilt? New? Original?

I assume it's this one....but that's a word that causes trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang caliper.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	67545  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Something ain't right. The 1964 1/2 Mustang didn't have a duel master cyl brake system . That happened in 1966. The 64 1/2 never had disk brakes that was a potion that came when ford offered the Hi-Po 289. The 64 1/2 never had a 289 . The 260 ci was the only V-8 option. If you have a 64 1/2 it is a mismash of parts. Here is a site that has some of the proper part numbers for the early Mustangs. I hope this helps.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Gok02y4cWXHQGQ
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

mustang bks

i know my memory is shot.. but i had a 64 1/2 mustang with the hi perf 260 fastback.. with factory disc.. and i killing brain cells trying to remember if it had 2 piston or 4 piston calp's... i don't think so. thats why i mentioned aftermkt sys on your's...
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Well the first generation Mustang used Kelsy-Hayes four piston disk brakes but they only became avalible in Sept of 1995 which would make that a 66 Mustang. The Hi-Po version of the 260 engine was used only in the Falcon, Comet, Cobra and Sunbeam Tiger MK1. It never came stock in a Mustang. The 260 was dropped from the Ford line in 1965. In the 64 1/2 mustang you could get a 170ci six or a 260 ci V-8 with a 2bbl In June of 1964 the Hi-Po 289 became avalible. A Hi-Po 289 in a 64 !/2 did happen but they were pretty rare. Most of them went to Shelby.Total production in 64 !/2 was 123 units.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

good info BB

i thought it was a 260 anyways.. but i know for a fact it did have factory disc. this is going back 30 yrs.. got from junk yard for $75 bucks... paid off the parking fee's he had... so sounds like that 64 i had just might have been rare..???
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Addressing the poportining valve...you say you have it on the rear brakes, but it doesn't dive. Well, the valve should be on the front to limit fluid to rear so there is no lockup. jmo2
The Following User Says Thank You to torquejunky427 For This Useful Post:
allgaragework (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Thank you every one for your reply Let me get you up to speed on what I know and did to this 64 1/2 mustang. I found it in a barn and it was there for 25 years and someone started stripping it to restore. Lucky me I found all the parts there hood,doors,trunk,seats,and 3 buckets of bolts. When I ran the vin it came with a v8 260 two barrol , factory air , wimbolton wight with red inside. I was supprised to see it had what looked like factory disk brakes but someone changed the single resivore master cylinder to a dual and this was done some time ago from the looks of the rust on everything. I wanted to upgrade to power brakes so I bought a new dual master cylinder , new vacum canister and all new brake lines. The new proportioning valve is a wildwood aftermarket with a adjustable knob on it. The four piston brakes may or may not be ariganal but I disasembaled them and cleaned them and rebilt them with a new o ring and dust boots. All the brake lines were done by me . The master cylinder is a GM tipe chrome with big resivores the jentalman from Texas sales them on the net just for the Mustang conversion with no butchering of the fire wall.I have done brake work before on my 68 doing prety much the same thing except the disk brakes came from a 74 granade. Any way I will get out there this weekend and get some one to step on the peddel as I look at the pistons first to see If there is movemint on all 4 on each side and go from there.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

noise

since this car was put together from various parts something might not be torqued, I have a set of the early mustang KH 4 piston calipers and rotors on a set of 40's ford i beam -spindles, and spare Mustang change over parts but missing 1 caliper bracket. I think Mopar also used the KH 4 piston but had a 5 on 4.25 wheel patern.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquejunky427 View Post
Addressing the poportining valve...you say you have it on the rear brakes, but it doesn't dive. Well, the valve should be on the front to limit fluid to rear so there is no lockup. jmo2
you know what you might be right. I will open the valve all the way so as not to restrict any flow and see if that helps improve the front brakes. If it dose thin I will move things arround.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquejunky427 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
That's a rare one with the discs - I don't believe I've seen one tho I do know they exist

OK - what prop valve did you use? Standard Ford OEM or after market? Calipers - rebuilt? New? Original?

I assume it's this one....but that's a word that causes trouble.
Yes that looks like mine!! I used aftermarket propvalve (wieldwood) I put it on the rear lines someone just told me it needs to go on the front? I will open it up all the way so as to not restrict flow and see what happens.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.