Hot Rod Forum banner

help with muffler leak

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wrestlingclub142 
#1 ·
i have a 87 Chevy s-10 with a 2.8 liter. i have a leak where the exhaust pipe meets the manifold pipe. i welded almost all of it with a MIG but i cant get to the back side because my gun won't reach in their. is their any way i can plug it up so that it will pass inspection. i need a cheap way out. thanks :welcome:

#2 ·
a 20$ muffler from advance auto will pass you save your troubles. you probably wasted 20$ in welding gas arleady. the only way I know to fix mufflers is get a new 1, there is quick steel which is a putty that dries to a very hard surface but emits potent fumes when heated and should not be used on exhaust systems. you will be high as a kite by the time the inspection is done :pain:

#4 ·
jimfulco said:
There's some "muffler mender" stuff that comes in what looks like a toothpaste tube, and it works OK for a while.
yep, if you use this stuff plus some fiberglass woven fabric, you can patch a hole for quite a long time. First clean the area as much as possible and set the muffler cement in the hole generously and in the around areas. Then wrap the fiberglass fabric around the setting cement and tie it off real good. It will help hold the cement in there. Don't fire up the engine for a couple of hours so that the cement can dry. Then when you do fire her up, just let it idle and warm up the exhaust system it will help dry the cement, and keep from blowing it out before its solid

#6 ·
wrestlingclub142 said:
i have a 87 Chevy s-10 with a 2.8 liter. i have a leak where the exhaust pipe meets the manifold pipe. i welded almost all of it with a MIG but i cant get to the back side because my gun won't reach in their. is their any way i can plug it up so that it will pass inspection. i need a cheap way out. thanks :welcome:
I don't think he is talking about the muffler leaking, it sounds like the leak is at the pipe to manifold flange area. My suggestion is this if you have most of it welded up tight, you need to unbolt and lower that pipe to gain access to the un-welded areas.
I can assume that if you are welding on the pipe its not something as simple as a donut gasket worn out? Is the pipe cracked or rusted away?

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.