help with my 79 trans am - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2002, 11:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question help with my 79 trans am

ok i just purchased a 1979 trans am and i also have a parts car which is a 1978 trans am which is just a parts car. the trans am that i have is the bandit edition. it has the 403 olds with the 350 tranny. the guy i bought the car from also gave me a couple of engines and trannys too that all need to be rebuilt. they are the 400 big block pontiac and a 389 and also a 400 tranny. i was thinking about putting in the 400 pontiac and building it from the bottom up and supercharging it. what i need from you all is a recipe for doing this i need a list of parts to get. and also about how much all of this is going to cost me. ohh by the way i live in arizona if there is anyone on here in this area that can offer some assistance in the trans am build-up. i know that someone on here can come through for me. so thanks in advance and sorry for the loooonnnnnggg post.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 12:13 AM

personally, if i had to start from scratch on a motor that i was going to supercharge, i think i would choose a SBC. i like my 400 in my Trans Am, but i just dont like paying up the ***** for parts. not to mention finding them first. i know that you already have some pontiac motors but chevys are a dime a dozen and there is a LOT more info out there on how to properly build them and supercharge them. you will need to get motor mounts for the chevy motor and also make sure that the tranny will bolt up(i belive it will though). if you are really seriouse about supercharging a pontiac motor, or if you want to keep a pontiac motor in a pontiac, be prepared to shell out a LOT of cash and do a LOT of searching for correct parts and information.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Trans Am

hey there, I know 2 or 3 months ago there was an article in High Performance Pontiac with a 79 that was either turbocharged or supercharged using parts off a cummings diesel mack truck (think thats spelt right???). I'm not sure if he had swapped his 400 for a 455 or not though, I think he might have. I have the article in my room somewhere if you are interested in it I could look for it and let u know what he did. I have an 81 trans am, and know that the 80 and 81 could have the turbo t/a option. Though they were on 301, you could maybe take this setup and do something with it. If it were my car id forget about boosting and just build a stout motor, but to each his own.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.