Help with my build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with my build

I was at a transmission shop today asking about installing a transbrake in a TH400. We got to talking about what it was going in which is an S10 that has the following.

BBC 402 w/Offy tunnel ram & 2 Edelbrock 600cfm carbs
Narrowed 9" Ford w/ 4:56 gears and a full spool
TH400 w/ tranny brake & 4500 stall converter
Hossier 33x16x15 slicks

The motor I think is pretty much stock with maybe an aftermarket cam and some head work done.

The guy says that 4500 stall is too much stall for a BBC. It would work fine for a SBC. He also says that I need a transbrake specific torque converter. My question is, how accurate is he?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you're runnign a BBC with mildly ported stock heads you probably do have too much stall- and maybe too much cam too. It wouldn't bee too much if your engine was built to redline at about 7500, but stock ehads won't give you power up that far.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

That is alot of stall for that combination. I might think it would be ok for a Powerglide trans car. I think your big block would be better with no more than 3500 stall....if that much. The light weight, 4.56 gears and not alot of motor tells me you need to use the torque a bit lower in the scale.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
All depends on the static compression ratio and the cam matchup. He may not be making enough torque to stall a lesser converter.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I was at a transmission shop today asking about installing a transbrake in a TH400. We got to talking about what it was going in which is an S10 that has the following.

BBC 402 w/Offy tunnel ram & 2 Edelbrock 600cfm carbs
Narrowed 9" Ford w/ 4:56 gears and a full spool
TH400 w/ tranny brake & 4500 stall converter
Hossier 33x16x15 slicks

The motor I think is pretty much stock with maybe an aftermarket cam and some head work done.

The guy says that 4500 stall is too much stall for a BBC. It would work fine for a SBC. He also says that I need a transbrake specific torque converter. My question is, how accurate is he?
He's standing right by it, or was so he should have a feel for the thing.

Let's start at relationships perhaps as much as everything and more than most anything the converter stall speed selection is dependent upon the power curves that the camshaft dictates on the engine. Everything else from port and valves, carburation and intake, exhaust configuration, vehicle gearing and weight are all contributors as well since these things affect where the best breathing occurs, what the working RPM range is, and how much weight the motor has to giddy-up. There is no significant relationship between a BBC or SBC. One could argue the points of added front end weight, stroke length versus bore, and rod length ratio and all that, but these things are secondary tuning considerations that really only are a effect the top competitors can see any benefit from playing with where hundredths to thousandths of a second have significant effects at the finish line.

So without detail information as to these things, we'd be blind folded, shooting in a dark, concrete room.

As too the transbrake being specific to the converter, I don't see it that way. All the transbrake does is use it's internal system between low and reverse to lock the tranny. This lets you rev the engine to where-ever the converter stall stops it, in your case theoretically 4500 RPM. If this is your engines torque peak, all you've got to do is release the trans brake, finding yourself in low gear and pasted to the seat. The other trick at this point is to keep the rear tires from going up in smoke. This gets to be another one of those things that you have to tune for, obviously, if the torque peak, stall speed, and tires going uncontrollably up in smoke all occur at the same spot then something needs to move to prevent that. Same would go for a bog out of the hole. You want the vehicle to move as quickly as possible between those events.

In any event we need the data related to the first paragraph to provide any useful information.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.