Hot Rod Forum banner

help with my speakers

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  tundrafiend01 
#1 ·
hey i have a 93 dodge Dakota and i have 2 12" subs in the back that are 700 watts and a 10"sub that i want to put under the seat and thats 800 watts. i have a CD player that pushes 175 watts and a amp that pushes 500 watts and the speakers sound like crap:mad:. so can anyone please help me with the speaker problem. plus help me with putting the speaker under the seat. thank you alot:)

#2 ·
Hookin it up

It all depends on how you have it hooked up, if your wiring job is crappy the sound will reflect on it. how do you have it hooked up are wires running near the computer or sparkplugs? are your speakers stock/blown? i need more info to help you...

#4 ·
And the amp brands and models would help too... A good amp costs about a dollar a watt. But I can already tell, you're just startin' out? Your CD player won't make 175W if its struck by lightning. Maybe 20-40 if its a really good one. You also need to run the proper crossover frequencys, if you run high freqs to a sub it sounds like distortion and it'll eventually fry them.

#5 ·
you can go to about any place that deals with car audio and they will be able to give u a filter that u can attatch to you imput wires before your amp and ground it and it will take all the engine noise out of your highs. I had this proble with mine and that took care of it parts is about 20 bucks got mine from best buy

also you would prolly be better off with not even useing your other 10 with 2 12's the sound would not be as nice, two different speakers dont just play at the same freqeuncy

#7 ·
If your putting a sub under the seat just measure to build a box, take the seat out build a box out of 3/4 mdf and put the sub under the seat. I would only put a sub under a seat and not midrange or tweeters. A sub is non directional and doesn't matter where its at in your truck (a cars a little different.)

#9 ·
It would be helpful to know the brand and model of the woofer. The box may need to be ported or sealed, and the woofer will have size requirements. Enclosures should be built from MDF. MDF can be found at any Home Depot.

#11 ·
Re: the kind of speaker

wrestlingclub142 said:
its a sony Xplod model # XS-L1037 and it says to use 3/4 wood.
I couldn't find any specs for that woofer. I'd try a Sony retailer for specs. If you're still unable to get the specs, I'd build a box with 1 cubic foot of air space and make sure it' s sealed. Cut a hole in the top for the woofer and screw it in. Build the box with MDF (medium density fiberboard), glue and screw it together. Be sure to add a connection for the speaker wires. If you're using 2 12's I'd forget the 10" , but to each his own.

#13 ·
Unless you intend on running another sub amp, forget about it...

Firstly 3 speakers is gonna make some goofy impedence unless they are designed to be used in multiples of 3. Too low and you've found the best way to destroy an amp.

Secondly, unless you up the power, just adding another speaker using the same amount of power won't get you a noticable volume increase. Decibel gain is logritmic, with a given amount of power you have to add twice as many drivers as you had before, ie 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8. 4 speakers with 500 watts RMS total will play 3dB louder than 2 speakers with 500W RMS.

The sub would need a box to completely enclose it, only junky free-air type can do without.

#14 ·
Re: yea but

wrestlingclub142 said:
i will need to cut my seat because the sub won't even go under the seat so should i still cut the hole in the top because arn't u going to be sitting on the speaker, and won't it break it.:confused:

Personally I'd get rid of the 12's and use a single 10. A good friend of mine just won several awards at the sound finals in Louisville. He rates my system as "2 thumbs up" and we both are using a single 10" woofer in small cab pickups. My other speakers are Image Dynamics Mini Horns, and Image 5 1/4 mids. Two Xtant amps provide power with Audio Control processors and a Clarion CD player.

Check this out..............

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sld/

#17 ·
you must cut a hole in it for the speaker to be mounted, although the whole idea with this 10 is not going to make a different to the quality of your sound or how hard your speakers hit it will olny make the 10 sound out of tune with the 2 12's all this is going to do is give u a vibration in your ***. but if thats what u want ok?

#19 ·
Re: so what should i do

wrestlingclub142 said:
OK i took my seat out and i need to cut the couching. yea so should i cut it or what and if so how and how much. plus there is a cross member bar in the middle do i need it or should i just bend it
I in no way want to sound arrogant, but I get the feeling you're way over your head with this project. Please go by a local sound shop and talk with them in person.

#21 ·
wrestlingclub142:

I understand you wanting to modify your vehicle to make it unique. I also understand why you would want a stealth subwoofer box, but with 2 12" subs, why would you want to add an additional 10"? You will see no benefit to adding another subwoofer, except bragging rights with your buddies.

You need to listen to what these guys are saying. Adding this one speaker is going to be more work than what it's worth. I would recommend leaving your system the way it is, and not mess with chopping up your driver's seat.

If you're hell bent on adding a 10" sub, why not build a new box that will house the 2 12's and 1 10"? Adding a 10" sub this way would be better than trying to cram a space hungry sub into a space starved area.

To each his own, but don't make the mistake of trying to cram your 10" sub underneath your driver's seat...BAD IDEA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.