Help--Need to Cut a hole in Firewall - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help--Need to Cut a hole in Firewall

Hi Guys:
I am replacing the bulkhead plate on my firewall( this is the aluminum plate where the A/C and heater hoses attach to the firewall) Problem is, I recently had the firewall painted--dummy me did not change the bulkhead at that time. Now I don't know what would be the best way to cut the larger hole that I need for the new bulkhead plate without scratching the paint or causing it to peel off. Is there a type of hacksaw blade that would make the job easier? Would a coping saw blade work? Or is there a power tool that would do the job? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifivefan
Hi Guys:
I am replacing the bulkhead plate on my firewall( this is the aluminum plate where the A/C and heater hoses attach to the firewall) Problem is, I recently had the firewall painted--dummy me did not change the bulkhead at that time. Now I don't know what would be the best way to cut the larger hole that I need for the new bulkhead plate without scratching the paint or causing it to peel off. Is there a type of hacksaw blade that would make the job easier? Would a coping saw blade work? Or is there a power tool that would do the job? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Why not just use a air powered cut off wheel ?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

is the hole going to be covered by the new plate and by how much. U need to
be careful to lay out your cut line smaller then the plate. use a hole saw at 2 opposite corners so tha the edge of the saw is going to cut on the cut line u wnt. go slow so as not to create much heat and tke your time . a little watrer sprayed on the fire wall if drilling from the front is ok.don't get the metal hot.just trigger the drill and don't use a brand new saw as it will dig in to much and u will lose control and possibly mar up the wall. drill a pilot hole first then the hole saw. after u have the 2 opposite corner holes now u can use a hacksaw blade by hand to cut on the cut lines and should not create much heat. it is difficult to keep the blade straight . if u don't have the experience with the tools u should get some practice on scrap or make a friend that works with tools for a living. A rod shop should be able to dom this for if u want.
They would probably use the cut off wheel as suggested earlier.
hope this helps
Old 09-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Last journal entry: my 52 pontiac sedan delivery
Last photo:

to cut a hole

had a similar problem/ordeal on my sedan delivery....what i did was mark off the bulkhead on the firewall, used masking tape to cover the area marked off. this allowed the holesaw i used to cut through while keeping the paint from peeling....worked for me...might for you...i cut through the tape and the firewall from the outside to the inside. of course the other ways described above work also....more than one way to skin a cat!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Help--Need to Cut a hole in Firewall

Thanks, guys for the helpful suggestions. I certainly will take it slow whether using the air tool or the hacksaw.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.