Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help needed in Calgary
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help needed in Calgary

A quick intro - I live in Calgary, Alberta, have a wife and two kids (18 and 21) and have a total of seven vehicles.
-2012 Ford Escape ( keeps wife happy)
-2002 Pontiac Aztec (daughter - loves it - says it's not ugly)
-1986 Chrysler New Yorker (son - grandma's former baby)
-2001 Pontiac Bonneville (my daily driver)
-1981 GMC 3500 (mine - fully restored and modified)
-1970 GMC 1500 (mine - picked it up with my grandfather when I was 12 - fully restored and modified)
-1975 Datsun 280Z (mine - fully restored and very modified)

Turning a wrench is a hobby. I enjoy body and motor work, hate electrical and admit ignorance on many other things!

So I'm hoping that a few of you out there might be able to offer some advice . My 1970 GMC tranny gave out. 3 speed TH350 that has performed admirably for 110K miles. Rather than having it fixed, I would really like to put in a 4L60 overdrive. I'm aware of the modifications needed, so I know that it's not a drop out/drop in scenario, but I think the upgrade would be worth it. The information available to do this swap leads me to believe that I could do it properly.

A quick look at options here in Calgary yield the following:

-shops don't have a 4L60 to buy without a core and they don't want a TH350
-Gm makes a rebuild with warranty for $1400, but I don't think it has any upgrades or modifications
-There are many places in the US I can buy a tranny. I don't know good from bad.

I'm not looking at a torque monster. I have about 350 HP mated to a 3.08 rear end. The extra torque from the first gear and hopeful mileage increase from the overdrive are all that I am hoping for.

I buy many things from the states and have them shipped to Sweetgrass,MT where I go and pick them up.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Kevin