Help needed with engine mount location... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help needed with engine mount location...

Hey guys,

My Fatman mustang II IFS has been final welded in and I’m trying to get all the information I can before deciding which SBC (LT-1) motor mounts to use, and where to weld them. If given a choice, I’d prefer to use the stock motor mounts. My last project truck, I use the L shaped aftermarket SBC mounts, and although they utilized round rubber insulators, there was still more vibration than I would like to have had. I’m gonna have to do a fair amount of fabrication to secure the bottom part of a stock mount to make it work, but if I can position the engine in such a way as not to interfere with my rack and pinion connections, I feel I can make it happen. I need some input from you fellas concerning engine-positioning parameters. The lower firewall in my truck has been cut out, and will be custom fabricated after the eng/trans mounts are in place Here’s my questions: What is a “ballpark” horizontal distance between the oil pan “hump”, and cross member? What is the highest and lowest vertical distance that you would want to mount a SBC, relative to your mustang II cross member? Any, and all feedback related to engine mounting location will be appreciated! Thanks Jimmy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
opinionated old fart

Last journal entry: Sheetmetal
Last photo:

What kinda truck are you putting this in? I am working on my 50 Chev and could give you dimensions if yours is an AD truck. The way we figured the mount location was to put the frame at its ride attitude then with the engine and trans lowered into position we located the trans cross member and tacked it in place then raised the engine until the carb mounting surface on the intake was level then tacked the motor mounts into place, this gives the entire drivetrain about a 3 degree down angle. Mine is a RAT motor but the motor mount dimensions would be the same.

Larry
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Your gonna have to do like CptKaos did and mock up your set up. Don't rely on someones measurements...what if they were wrong?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If I am not fighting floor pans, firewalls, etc, then on most pre 1960s hot rods and trucks I like to put the centerline of the crank (at the balancer) level with the frame rail top or lower. Go as low as you can with the motor without getting the oil pan too close to the ground. I get nervous if I can't see 4" between the floor and pan..

If I can get the motor to set down further in the rails then I like to keep at least 3/4" between the pan and crossmember. I have notched the crossmember to get a motor to sit lower if I was doing a ford motor (even with using a rear sump pan)

Once the front is set, raise or lower the rear of the trans until the carburetor mounting flange is within 1 degree of level.

That should get the motor sitting at about 4 degrees front up.

I like 66 chevelle motor mounts. They are small and cheap and look good in a hot rod.

Hope this helps,
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Along with what others have said, don't overlook the position of the rear end. if your not carefull you can set the engine too low in the chassis making it below the diff,that would multiply the Driveline u joint angles as the suspension works. be sure the driveline is going down hill to the rearend.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 PM

thanks guys...keep the suggestions comming.....

The truck is a '37 Studebaker. Right now there is no trans crossmember, just a frame, mustang II, and a cab shell. As I said, I'd like to use stock LT-1 mounts, but their kinda "bulky" and I 'm concerned about clearance for my rack and pinion to column steering shafts. If I could get an idea of how far back the oil pan "hump" is in relationship to my mustang II crossmember, I could start there. All suggestions welcome........Thanks, Jimmy
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

You really need to start mocking stuff up on your truck.

You need your radiator and grill in place as well before you start to place the motor.
If you are going to build a firewall and floor you should make sure that you will not set the motor too far back in the cab that you run out of room for people.

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM

I'm flexible there also...can locate the rad anywhere I want. Approx distance measured (front-to-back) between oil pan hump, and back of crossmember (4" wide crossmember located at front axle centerline). That's one of the measurements I'm looking for??....Jimmy

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.