help needed with image design - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

help needed with image design

I need some help with a basic image design, and graphic design is definitely not my strong point. I know we have some PhotoShop wizards out there, so I thought I might ask around.

We need a watermark to place over images in the Hotrodders Photo Album. A watermark is a small, somewhat transparent image that is placed on top of a photograph. This will prevent people from stealing our uploaded photos and using them on other websites. It's a little bit annoying to see something added to your photo, but unfortunately, it's necessary.

I can't get the transparency right, and it definitely does not look correct. Here are a couple of examples (you can really see the flaw in the second watermarked pic):

This is a few minutes of work for someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to graphics, but that definitely isn't me. Is there someone out there who can design us a decent watermark?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sorry Jon....

i don't know squat about graphics, but i would like to see some pics of your garden when your 'crop' is ready
Old 07-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I wondered what that was on the bottom of the pictures.

I can`t help you eather jon. Is that a garden space in the second picture? Ofcourse I know what that is in the first picture.

Some strange things happened yesterday when I was playing around in the new photo album. I had some pictures that would not go in, it did not say why. I didn`t edit any of them,but the ones that didn`t go were large.

On the first try,the little coupe street rod showed up in my album, or it looks like it did. On the second try there was a folder full of files, don`t know where it came from or whoes it was,after that I didn`t see it anymore. Uploading was easer than before. Now all I need to know is how to download my album and move it

Keep up the good work,you might get a raise.

How about a thumbs up smiley, and a hi 5 .

Troy,
Old 07-07-2003, 10:33 AM

Last journal entry: almost ready to go in
Last photo:

Jon,

What are the size restraints for the image in pixels? And what file type is best used for this?

I can give it a try if you like.

Craig
Old 07-07-2003, 10:47 AM

Craig -- I think it's got to be a GIF, since it has to support transparency. Width should be about 200-300 pixels, height should be about 10-25 pixels. Font doesn't really matter. Some sort of text shadowing might be good, since it needs to display on both dark and light backgrounds.

Troy -- keep at it. I saw some weird stuff in your album too. I'll keep an eye on it, that's what this test phase is for. Some of the larger pics might have gotten rejected because they were too big. We could use a couple more smilies, I think the display order of smilies needs to be fixed too, so that the more common smilies are displayed first on the list.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Something like this Jon?

You can set the opacity of the text in CorelDraw and save it in any format you like (gif, jpg, bmp, tiff). This is with opacity set right in the middle. In addition there is a hidden watermark plug-in that embeds the Digimarc data if you prefer something less obvious, I can't see the Digimarc data when you look at a photo even at the maximum "visible" setting but of course, they want you to buy a subscription for this service.

Everything I manipulated on this photo was done in PhotoPaint8 which comes with the CorelDraw8 suite of software, here is the original photo with only the logo changed (with respect to the real Bob the Builder and it's registered owners Hit Entertainment and Lyrick Studios ).

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 07-07-2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Jon,
I don't know if it will help but check these out.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...PhotoMark.html

http://www.atomintersoft.com/product...ark-protector/

http://www.softpicks.org/software/Ai...tector-773.htm

http://www.1000files.com/Multimedia_...57_Review.html

This explains how to do it with PhotoShop.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...swatermark.htm

Hope one of these helps you out.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 07-07-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:33 AM

It looks like I might have to break down and actually pay for software . Most everything I use is either free or shareware or homemade. I thought I might be able to find a little watermark utility for mac, but I couldn't find anything at download.com or my other usual sources. Kevin -- that PhotoMark software is exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately they're Windows-only.

I use something now called GraphicConverter. I can do transparency, but I can't adjust the opacity, and the text features are minimal.

Thanks Chuck -- I've heard a lot of good things about Corel. I'm going to see if they have a free trial. That digital watermarking stuff is pretty interesting. I considered it for our purposes, and it can be done for cheaper. But even if we do catch someone, enforcing our copyright won't be easy, or cheap. There are some other weird things we can do. We can use javascript to disable right-click, or some java applet foolery. We can even place the images as backgrounds in table cells, and place a 1-pixel transparent GIF over them. Then, when people go to download the image, they just get the 1-pixel! Most of those tricks can be circumvented though. Slapping a visible watermark on there is a little tacky, but it looks like our only viable option.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Jon
The watermark is probably your best bet, as far as disabling the right click, the first time that I ever ran into that, it took me about 5 minutes of messing around to figure how to get around that.

The watermarks work really good for more than just keeping other sites from stealing your pictures, it is also a way to get people to check out your site. When someone hotlinks to a picture that is stored on your server to show someone at another car site something the watermark serves as an advertisement as to where the cool cars are.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

The problem with copyrighting in this case is that copyright belongs to the individual whose intillectual property the image is, meaning if I take a photo, you cannot legally claim copyright.

Same goes for any artwork on this site.

There has been some interest in the design put forward in the t-shirt contest number 54 i think it is, anyhow this image actually belongs to MOON EYES, I have seen it on their site and I think it may have actually been used for some advertising. Correct me if I am wrong.

Watermarks are a good way to link the photos on this site, a Copyright warning on the pages where the images are is better than putting say.. copyright hotrodders.com. Better still make it clear that the images on the pages are copyrighted to the person who created it and all rights are reserved by that person.

Craig
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Continued from last post:

Disabling the right click is not a bad idea but there are some very good screen capture programs around so this isnt really foolproof.

Making the images look ok but when they are printed are too low resolution to be of any use is the best protection from being ripped off.

I guess the end of it is that there is no real sure fire way of protecting the images and anything you do will only keep the honest people from using the images.

Sorry this was a bit long winded

Craig
Old 07-08-2003, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys. My biggest concern is some scumbag webmaster grabbing all our member pics, and putting them up on some other website: HotroddersPics.com or something like that. I'm assuming that a webmaster will be able to get around most image display tricks, but a watermark will at least ensure that the images have to be edited one-by-one. I thought the Digital Millenium Copyright Act was supposed to take care of a lot of these things, but it doesn't really look like it's being widely enforced, so we're on our own for now.

Good point jamnut, it also provides free advertising for our site. Normally I would feel a little weird about using people's pics to advertise our site, but I guess it's just an added bonus of watermarking.

Craig -- can you PM me a link to where you've seen #54 before? That's something we definitely want to avoid.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

http://www.moonequipment.com/01Frame-2.html
Old 07-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Speaking of scumbags...

Since we are on the topic of scumbags, has anyone else been inundated with trash in their inbox since that very "nice" guy came here and mined the site for e-mail addresses? Every since that day it has been non-stop junk coming everyday. I'm pretty sure it was him because it literally happened the day I blasted him on one of the threads.

Let me know by PM or post here if you have experienced the same.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 PM

Ugh. Thanks Craig -- I'm going to PM the submitter of that design to see what I can find out.

Chuck -- I haven't noticed an increase in spam, but I'm getting so many now it's hard to tell. There is a weird spam from a few years back that is making the rounds again, from a person who is looking for a vendor for a Dimensional Warp Generator. It's attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt warp_generator.txt (1.4 KB, 93 views)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.